Just Labradors banner

Puppy dandruff.

54K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  ghwanee 
#1 ·
I have a 9.5 weeks old chocolate lab puppy that seems to have a dandruff. I've noticed some flakes when we've got them like a week ago and now it's got a bit worse. We haven't bath them yet and I wonder if bath will do any good in this case. I've read on some online sources that it will go away eventually. I am taking him to the vet for the shots in 2 days, but it makes me a bit nervous right now. Any ideas?

TIA

#2 · (Edited)
Whatever you do, do NOT bathe your pup/dog in any human shampoo whether for adults -- or even the gentlest of the mild, for babies.

Human shampoos (adults and babies) are formulated for human skin which is MANY times more acidic than dog skin.

Dog skin is MUCH closer to neutral (between acidic and alkaline/basic). So, using a human shampoo on dogs/puppies is bathing them in something very irritating to their skin -- not quite as bad as battery acid but certainly in that direction. The most thorough flushing, rinsing, will NOT take away the initial irritation and damage caused by contact with a shampoo formulated for humans, whether adults or infants.

[The same goes for all other detergents to possibly use on dogs; if in any doubt, contact the mfr and find out the pH of the product; it should be within a pH value of 6.5 to 7.5 (7.0 is neutral). The pH scale is logarithmic so 6.0 is 10x as acidic at 7.0 and 5.0 is 100X as acidic.]

Hopefully, others will have good suggestions on what to do for dandruff on puppies. I can only advise you on what not to use.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My concern about this is to atone for mistakes I made with my Bess, a black Lab, some 40 years ago. Bess had constant dandruff which I VERY mistakenly tried to correct by frequently bathing her with "gentle" (I then thought!) baby shampoo.

Forgive me, sweet Bess, I knew no better. I'll try to make up for the irritation I caused you by warning others against making my mistake.

#3 ·
Our Golden Retriever had terrible dandruff when we brought her home, huge flakes. The "breeder" had been feeding the pups Ol' Roy dog chow. Once we switched her to a better food, her skin problems cleared up. Fish oil capsules also help, when they are older.

#5 ·
Its pretty normal as they change from puppy coat to a coarser adolescent coat. I wouldn't worry about it, and I certainly wouldn't bathe him.

He'll grow out of it.

#8 ·
Our pup is almost 7 months old now and when we first brought him home he was very very flakey. It improved with time because we fed him better food, but he was still flakey up until about a month ago, now it's not nearly as bad. so it's true that they grow out of it. I wouldn't worry about it. actually I was really worried about it when he was about 4 months old because I found out he'd been exposed to a dog that had lice, and I was constantly pulling flakes off and examining them for legs LOL but he never did get any.

#12 ·
PRO PLAN

The best dog food kibble on the market.
I had a Golden Retriever ***** 10 years ago - one fabulous dog she was.
I was feeding her a known Brand name dog food (recommended by breeders at that time) and she seemed to be doing well on it.
I noticed one day that her coat was looking shabby as, her nose was flaky and her eyes has lost their sparkle.
I put her on Pro Plan straight away and within 2 weeks of being on that food she bounced back and was in better condition for the first time in her 5 years alive. I felt bad that I had been feeding her was was just crap.
Yeah it was expensive to buy BUT what is the cost if you know you are providing the very best to your faithful friend.
Her coat shone and was in great condition never had another skin flake or illness and her eyes sparkled bright as all the time.
It tore my heart apart when some AH stole her when she was 9 yeas old from my backyard while I was at home doing paperwork - Bar stewards! never saw her again!:Cry::

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.