allergy medication

Thread: allergy medication

jimdiane is offline Member

Defaultallergy medication

Our dog Charlie is starting to show early signs of his seasonal allergies and is scratching. Last year the vet gave him some strong stuff (steroids) and I would prefer to avoid them. Has anyone ever used any human allergy medication on their dogs? is it safe? I just figure we could give him a childrens douse .
    thanx
    jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

Never give human meds to a dog unless your vet prescribes them. I had to go to the vet late one night for an emergency. There was a dog in the hospital making the most terrible moaning/whining noise you could imagine. I asked my vet what was wrong with it? The owner (a nurse) had given it a human antibiotic & caused multiple organ failure. The poor dog had to be PTS a short time later.

That was over 20 years ago & the sound of that dog dying was something that will haunt me for the rest of my life.

goodguy is offline Senior Member

You can give Charlie Benadryl... There's a certain dosage you need to stick to.. I give my girl 2 pills at breakfast and 2 at dinner. Recomended by my vet...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

fanny&eddiesmom is offline Senior Member

I give my Eddie a Zyrtec every day, recommended by my vet, He can also take Benadryl..

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

You should speak with your vet before starting any medication with your dog. They should be able to work with you to get a routine down and still avoid steroids. Definitely give them a call and discuss your concerns.

We've had the best luck with first generation antihistamies (benadryl) versus second (zyrtec). The dose we use for benadryl is 1-2 mg/lb every 8-12 hours. Most benadryl tablets are 25 mg - be sure you have only Diphenhydramine HCl as the single active ingredient. Not benadryl sinus, or cold, or anything else.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I use Quercetin/Bromelaine (natural antihistimine - the Bromelaine helps with uptake of the Q)and it works better than Benadryl. Ask your vet about it. I buy it at www.vitacost.com and give one in a.m. and one in p.m. meal.