Food Change Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food Change Question

Boston is offline Senior Member

DefaultFood Change Question

Stoli is on Nature's Recipe Large Breed Puppy. She has done well on it. Recently they changed to a chicken and oatmeal recipe and she doesn't really like it. She will eat it but i usually sprinkle some cheese or something to entice her. She is almost 8 months old and I want to switch her to adult food (not large breed)anyway so I figured I would ask now.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a good food(not too expensive) that might be comparable to Nature's Recipe??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Go to dogfoodproject.com and you can read reviews of various products and make your own decision. Most people on here are going to recommend their own brand - which may or may not work for you. In addition - may I caution you against add ins to the dog's food. You can create a very picky eater by doing that.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Go to dogfoodproject.com and you can read reviews of various products and make your own decision. Most people on here are going to recommend their own brand - which may or may not work for you. In addition - may I caution you against add ins to the dog's food. You can create a very picky eater by doing that.
    Thanks. I will check out that site now. As for the add ins I was afraid of that being the cASE. more reason to switch her now to something she likes better.

As for an 8month old switching to adult. Is there anything I should be looking for?? I already do wheat free. What about grain? protein% fat% etc.

Thx

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I have both of mine on Wellness CORE - primarily because I have a diabetic dog and wanted to hold down the carbs in his diet. Both of my boys have done well on it.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Is 8 months old too young to go Grain Free??

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

8 months is too young for certain grain free foods (they typically have higher Ca:P ratios). EVO is not recommended for dogs under 12-18 months. Orijen has a LBP grain free formula that has restricted Ca:P levels if you really want to go grain free now before she's fully mature - our puppy loved it and did well on it

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Quote Originally Posted by YellowJakesMom View Post
    8 months is too young for certain grain free foods (they typically have higher Ca:P ratios). EVO is not recommended for dogs under 12-18 months. Orijen has a LBP grain free formula that has restricted Ca:P levels if you really want to go grain free now before she's fully mature - our puppy loved it and did well on it
    Thanks!!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Stoli is on Nature's Recipe Large Breed Puppy. She has done well on it. Recently they changed to a chicken and oatmeal recipe and she doesn't really like it. She will eat it but i usually sprinkle some cheese or something to entice her. She is almost 8 months old and I want to switch her to adult food (not large breed)anyway so I figured I would ask now

Around 7-9 months is when many puppies need to have the amount of food they eat reduced.

So it may NOT be her dislike of the food but, rather, a needed natural reduction in amount of food eaten.

Very young puppies (say 8 wks age) need to eat about 2X the amount that an adult dog of that same weight would need. As they grow older and as they come closer to their adult weight, that decreases to 1X. (See Puppy Nutrition in the UC-Davis "Book of Dogs.")

When Puff was about 8 months old, she weighed 50 lbs of her eventual adult weight of 62 lbs. She'd started eating about 1 cup/day total when she was 6 lbs (@ 9 wks age). That had gradually increased to 5 cups/day (over 2 meals) when she was about 8 months age.

Then she began skipping meals. Sometimes for a day or more. When she began eating again, she ate a reduced amount so I gave her that amount. Then after a bit she'd stop eating again and when she resumed, it was again a reduced amount. We kept going through these stages until she got down to a little over 2 cups/day total.

It was through this that I discovered my Puff is largely a self-regulator of her food intake. That puts her in the minority; most Labs are gluttons and some could easily kill or injure themselves by over-eating if given a chance. Self-regulating (according to a poll I conducted on JL several years ago, responded to by about 70 owners) is only found in about 10% of Labs. And, at that, it applies only to regular kibble and not to steak, fish, cat food, cheese, horse manure, etc.

So, consider the possibility that it may NOT be that she dislikes the food but rather that she's somewhat of a self-regulator, is sufficiently full, and now needs to begin reducing the amount of her daily food intake.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks Bob for that info. i didn't think about that.

That being said I have decided to try Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. The content looked better then the food I'm currently on and at first mix last night she seemed to like it. Even wanted more after she ate her 1 1/4 cups which she hasn't done in awhile. I will monitor but hopefully this is the right food for her!!

Haylie is offline Junior Member

grain free is good anytime.. there are many good foods out there.. switching to adult isn't reccomended till a year old.. Wellness makes a good food, and so does orijen.. they are both a little pricey but they are good
    Haylie's Stars A Burnin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast