Heartworm medicine in dryer climate

Thread: Heartworm medicine in dryer climate

LuvRgirl is offline Senior Member

DefaultHeartworm medicine in dryer climate

My husband and I were told yesterday at a dog grooming place that we don't have to treat our pup for heart worm here in Nevada, due to the dry climate. I have never heard of that. We are from the mid-west and we're out here while my husband finishes up his job, we adopted Bella out there and brought her here with us. She has been on it and I plan to continue it but I just wanted to check to see if what they said was true or not.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Check with your vet. They know best whether or not there is a need. I believe HW is just about everywhere these days, dry climate or not.

What part of Nevada are you in? I've got a friend in the Elko area. I'll ask them if they do HW.

Laura

We are in Vegas, and our vet is in the mid-west. We are going to be calling around tomorrow to get a prescription, we don't need a check up for her, just a prescription for heartguard, we bought it from our vet back home.
    Thanks for your reply.
    I just don't think it wise to take any chances with her, we love her to much to do that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LuvRgirl View Post
    We are in Vegas, and our vet is in the mid-west. We are going to be calling around tomorrow to get a prescription, we don't need a check up for her, just a prescription for heartguard, we bought it from our vet back home.
    Thanks for your reply.
    I just don't think it wise to take any chances with her, we love her to much to do that.
    I would be surprised if you can find someone that will give you an RX without seeing her. Has she been off the medication? If so they would want to test her before they will put her back on it. There is a map-can't remember the web site, that shows where HW is most prominent, but Laura is right, its pretty much everywhere anymore. I'm sure it will all work out though

labby is offline Senior Member

Okay, this is what my friend in Elko said.

I do not do heartworm preventative here, but depending on what part of the state they live in, it is a good idea. The Las Vegas area should and I think the Reno area probably should too. I live at almost 6000 ft above sea level and it isn't a problem for me, but the climate varies wildly here.

Laura

Labby thanks so much for checking on it for me! I greatly appreciate it. We went to the clinic yesterday and got a prescription called in from the vet, we will continue her dosage her. Phew, I feel better, as I mentioned before I just don't want to take a chance with her, we love her so much and want her to be in the best health possible.

Thanks once again!!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I live in a fairly low heartworm risk area, and choose to use natural prevention in combo with testing yearly as opposed to giving my dogs medication for an ailment they don't have.

So it's a matter of weighing risk, basically. For us, I feel that the risk of dosing my dogs with unnecessary meds that could very well be harmful over the course of their lives is much higher than using an herbal parasitic cleanse once a month and testing religiously. That is a conclusion I came to after researching many different aspects of the issue, as I would encourage you to do as well. Including but not limited to; potential side effects of meds (immediate AND over time), the rate of heartworm infection in your area, how often and intensely your dogs are exposed to potential infection, health of your dog, availability of alternative therapies, etc. We use a black walnut combo tincture once per month for a week during at-risk months.

Hope that helps!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

In Colorado, we only do May through October because once it gets cold again, the mosquitos can't breed.

The vet at the clinic we took her to over the weekend did give us a prescription for Bella. We plan on going back in Dec. but where we live mosquitoes are really bad, so our regular vet tells us to use it all year long. So we are good to go. Thanks for all the help and advice on what to do. Everyone on here is so helpful and great!