bloody tail

Thread: bloody tail

mdcrain is offline Junior Member

Defaultbloody tail

What can i do? I am at my wits end and at a loss. See my 1 and 1/2 year old chocolate lab, Bandit, has a small sore on the very tip of his tail. The sore never heals because he gets "happy tail" to often and hits it constantly. There is blood all over my house from his tail. The sore is very small and not infected and would not be a concern anywhere else on his body because it could heal. I have tried liquid bandage but that didnt work, I cant wrap it beacuse he will eat anything I try to bandage on him. He is not in any pain and is not even aware that with every swipe of the tail he is leaving blood on my walls like a paint brush. I love this dog more than anything but I get so frustrated even though I know its not his fault. How do you train a dog not to wag their tail?lol. The only suggestions I have recieved so far are liquid bandage and docking his tail. The second suggestion seemed really extreme to me and not something I would want to do, so please someone help. I will try anything.
    Last edited by mdcrain; 03-29-2010 at 01:07 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Has the vet seen this sore? What did they say? Sorry, I don't have a solution, just curious as the what the vet says.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Nick is offline Senior Member

Jes does this...and I can't put anything on it either. He'll either try and bite it off, or he becomes so preoccupied with whatever is on his tail that it drives him crazy. You definitely can't train them to not wag their tail, or if you can I've failed miserably at it. Honestly, I didn't really tried because it just seems like a losing battle.

Is there a certain area where he tends to injure his tail? For Jes, it's the entry hall. It's sufficiently narrow that when he gets all excited and wags his tail, he hits both sides of the wall. I had to train him to not greet me at the door. He has to sit at the end of the hall, so that he can wag his tail all he wants, and it won't hit anything.

*Edit: I forgot to add that if the technique in the link that kiddsmom posted works, then that seems like a great solution. Unfortunately, it didn't work for us, and about the only other solution is to keep them out of the areas where they hurt themselves. The next time it happens, I may try some gauze and sports tape and see if the lighter and less bulky dressing drives him less crazy.
    Last edited by Nick; 03-29-2010 at 11:49 AM.

Thank you guys so much. I will give "Lucy's Method" a try and hope it works. The vet has seen his tail and agrees that it is not serious. Yet. Bandit is a little bit taller and longer than the average lab and he has a freakishly long tail. I think that contributes to the problem because in most of the areas of the house that the dogs are allowed (no carpet areas) he cant turn with out his tail brushing up against something if he is wagging it (which is always). The wound is very small and not red at all, it just never gets a chance to heal completly because he constantly hits it. As a matter of fact I am sitting in the office right now and he just came in here and managed to hit the chair I am in, the trashcan, the door and the wall. No blood this time (thank goodness), but that just shows how often a dog can whack their tail against things and we dont even realize it. So again thanks for the advice, I will give it a try.

Here is a pic of that tail in action. Bandit is on the right and his tail is moving so fast it is a blur on the camera.
    Last edited by mdcrain; 03-29-2010 at 01:04 PM.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Wonder if " quick stop " would work. It would stop the bleeding and maybe give the tail enough time to heal- I doubt it would bother Bandit, so he might leave it alone. Just a thought- it certainly worked on Sammi's ear when she got bit, with no easy way to keep a bandage on, and her shaking her head it looked like a crime scene in our house, the quick stop worked, stayed on for over a week, and her ear healed nicely. Good luck with that tail

banoel is offline Senior Member

What about EMT gel for dogs. That might speed the healing. I LOVED the picture of Bandit and his wagging tail. What a happy fellow. Good luck with the healing process.
    - Never trust a dog to guard your food -

Beck's Frequent Flyer (Miles) 1/26/10
    Beck's Keepin' It Simple, JH (Simon) 4/25/07
    Noel's Duncan Delight, CDX (Duncan) 1/28/97 - 10/30/08 (Miss you big guy)