Trocoxil

Thread: Trocoxil

HarveysMum is offline Senior Member

DefaultTrocoxil

does anyone have any experience of this drug? Someone mentioned it to me yesterday and suggested it might be something i want to think about for Harvey if he needs long term pain meds. Any information would be welcome!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

Hmm.. I don't think we have that here in the States, but it looks like people have had a lot of luck with it long term with their dogs.

lab mad is offline Junior Member

yes i have !! my vet has put my 11 year old onto this drug. shes been on it for 3 months now and it did help her as she was starting to get a few aches and pains in her front leg . my other lab who is 10 is on previcox tablets which is for osteoarthritis but her legs are quite bad with the hock joints being quite swollen and now fused , and the on start of hip dysplasia aswell.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

the initial dosage is one tablet followed by the next one 2 weeks later then every month after that. it says on the info sheet that a treatment cycle should not exceed 7 consecutive doses. so can only be on it for 6.5 months at a time. if you would like me to post you the info sheet from the tablets message me your address and i will do that so you can have a read of it !

Castaway is offline Senior Member

I just had Riley PTS with acute renal failure after her first dose of Trocoxil.
    My mistake was not doing a liver/kidney function test before I started her on it. Acute renal failure is a recognized side effect.
    She needed a drug to control arthritic pain which was detracting badly from her quality of life. A Vet friend recommended it and has used it satisfactorily for a while, but it is a new drug. A lot is still not known. It appealed because it was cheaper than Previcox which I had used for a few times when pain was bad, and administration being monthly seemed an easy option. YES, administer for a maximum of 7 months. Administer first dose, then 2 weeks later second dose, then monthly.... I cant remember what the break was before one could use it again.
    My recommendation would be don't start with doing a liver/kidney function test.
    https://justlabradors.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic370_1.gif The more people I meet the more I like my dog

Castaway is offline Senior Member

i am so sorry to hear of your loss ! my vet never even mentioned a liver/kidney ffunction test but i will be asking for one now !

mike346 is offline Junior Member

I have just returned from taking my lab to the beach for the first time in over 12 months. We thought that Gemma was on her way out and just let her rest with minimum exercise as she was in constant pain. Now 1 week after her first dose she jumps into the car, runs around the back yard and enjoys the beach, we have our dog back.