There is a thread on O&E (& X-post on Lab Chat) about First Aid for Dogs and 1st aid kit supplies that I posted on. The material below is copied from one post.

Since we have so many new people on JL, I must make a pitch for people getting a small, very excellent book of that title by Bruce Fogle, DVM.

Published since 1995, for a few years it was out of print but is now being printed again. It's available from Amazon new for about $11 + $4 shipping (USA) and available used for as little as 50¢ (+ $4 S&H).

While I like and strongly recommend Giffin & Carlson, "Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook," the two books have very little overlap.

G&C goes through all body systems, developmental ages, etc., and also has a brief 40+ pp on first aid.

Fogle's book is dedicated to first aid and is almost 200 pp long. It clearly tells you when the matter is Urgent (see vet ASAP) down through steps to watch the condition for a day or 2. And its pen & ink illustrations are clearer and more useful than photos.

The link below is to the Amazon listing (and includes my customer review that 62 of 63 readers found useful ). It's only fault, IMO, is that the paper is cheap (almost like newsprint) and its a paperback. But, hey, for as little as $4.50, you don't expect parchment.

http://www.amazon.com/First-Aid-Dogs...4515983&sr=1-1

Below is Fogle's suggestion for a home First Aid Kit.

Bandage Material

Sterile non-stick gauze pads (3" X 3"/ 75 X 75 mm)

Gauze bandage (1" & 2"/2.5 & 5 cm) rolls

Elastic adhesive tape (1" & 2") rolls

Blunt tipped scissors

Cleaning Material

Cotton buds

Absorbent cotton wool

Hydrogen peroxide 3%

Tweezers

Other useful items

Needle-nosed pliers

Soft nylon rope (3 ft/1 m.) for muzzle or emergency leash

Blanket

PHARMACY

Allergy or itchiness

Antihistamine tablets or liquid (follow instructions for children)

Coughs

Glyceryl guiacolate expectorant (do not use cough suppressant)

Diarrhea

Kaopectate (5 mg per 10 lbs/5 kg body weight every 4 hrs for 1 day)

Poisoning

Activated charcoal (1 teaspoon for dogs under 10 Kg/25 lbs. and 2 tsps. for dogs over that weight)

3% Hydrogen peroxide (1 to 2 teaspoons every 10 minutes until vomiting is induced)

Vegetable oil (1 to 2 teaspoons for dogs under 10 Kg/25 lbs.& 1 to 2 Tablespoons for dogs over that weight)