Question about Neutering
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about Neutering

mamazano is offline Member

DefaultQuestion about Neutering

I was wondering what the right age is to neuter. I have read that with large breed dogs you should wait until they are at least one year of age. I would prefer to have Chester neutered before that, as soon as possible actually.

Can anyone give me advice? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

With any dog waiting until they are full grown gives them the benefit of correctly developing - the hormones play a role in that A dog neutered early will be leggier as the growth plates will be more slow to close than in an intact dog. There is an increase in the incidence of orthopedic problems - not a major increase but it's there.

You need to weigh this against your ability as a responble owner to keep your dog from breeding. Simply. If you think that the responsibility of keeping him away from females in heat is too much - then neutering him at 6 months is the way to go.

If your dog is exhibiting behavioral problems due to being intact - training will make a real difference there.

I have one Lab who was neutered at 6 months before I adopted him. My other Lab - a puppy I bought - is still not neutered at 15 months. The difference in their development has a lot to do with breeding - but some of it is due to the early neuter on Diesel.

Does that help?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Yes, thank you. Our Sheltie is not spayed and I do not want to have any chance of puppies with a large breed such as Chester. We are going to have her fixed when we can afford it, she is almost four though and my husband is somewhat worried about the surgery. I had our Golden Retriever spayed at three months and she has developed fine. I guess it is up to the individual, but since Chester was a rescue of sorts and is not going to breed, I prefer to have him neutered at a younger age. Thanks for the advice!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mamazano View Post
    Yes, thank you. Our Sheltie is not spayed and I do not want to have any chance of puppies with a large breed such as Chester. We are going to have her fixed when we can afford it, she is almost four though and my husband is somewhat worried about the surgery. I had our Golden Retriever spayed at three months and she has developed fine. I guess it is up to the individual, but since Chester was a rescue of sorts and is not going to breed, I prefer to have him neutered at a younger age. Thanks for the advice!
    The spay on your Sheltie is far more urgent IMO. The longer you wait the more likely she is to develop mammary or uterine tumors.

I know! I have been after my husband for the past three years, but he is worried. His best friend's Lab/Golden Retriever mix went in for a minor surgery and had a bad reaction to the anesthesia and died. I am going to have her fixed this summer, once Chester is older and not so rough in playing and also when the girls are home from school to watch her.

How old are you planning to do Chester? When is the Sheltie due to be in heat again? I would wait as long as you can if he is less than 6 months.

banoel is offline Senior Member

My vet recommends neutering at six months of age - so that is what I did with my boys. I was glad I did because they don't have the 'marking' instinct which I find rather annoying. In fact, they seldom lift their leg unless they find a long piece of grass.
    - Never trust a dog to guard your food -

Beck's Frequent Flyer (Miles) 1/26/10
    Beck's Keepin' It Simple, JH (Simon) 4/25/07
    Noel's Duncan Delight, CDX (Duncan) 1/28/97 - 10/30/08 (Miss you big guy)

I was going to wait until six months, no earlier. I think that is our best bet, and allows us more time to work out our Sheltie's surgery.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Bauer was 10 months old and we had planned to wait until he was a year old, but we couldn't take it anymore. He was humping my youngest son constantly, and his confidence/comfort around Bauer far outweighted the negitive to neutering early. I know that it isn't the norm, but for Bauer it stopped this immediately. After he was neutered he was joy to be around, and stopped his dominating/humping behavior immediately. He is now 2, and has never lifted his leg . . . I am still waiting. He sniffs poles, mailboxes, etc., but has never lifted his leg to leave pee-mail.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

I was going to wait until six months, no earlier. I think that is our best bet, and allows us more time to work out our Sheltie's surgery.
    I think that's a great idea. You should do what you feel most comfortable with. Especially with an intact female in the house, unless you can guarantee very close supervision, I would neuter at 6 months.

The studies on the benefits and risks of neutering are primarily done comparing pediatric (8-12 weeks) surgeries to those performed on "mature" dogs (around 6-8 months). To my knowledge, there have been no good studies performed to show the differences between neutering at 6 versus 12 versus 24 months. It's all pediatric versus "adult" and your guy would be past that pediatric age anyway.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast