My two and a half year old lab has been really licking her paws lately. Her pads are, and have always been really rough and cracked. They feel like sand paper when I rub my hands across them. Is this normal for a lab, and what could the licking mean? I have a Shepard mix that I adopted last spring from a shelter and her pads are very smooth and soft. I would think that this is the way my labs pads should be as well. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
My chocolate lab's paw pads are rough mostly on the tips of them but the rest is pretty smooth. But the rough part is REALLY rough, almost like a callous on human feet. I'm pretty sure that is what the roughness is, it is like a sort of callous for dogs. As far as the licking, she probably is having some sort of allergy and is licking due to irritation and itchiness. If you can spread open his toes and look in between each one on the sides, you will probably see a lot of raw and redness. My vet gave me what they call "scrubs". They are just little, square guaze pads soaked in an antiseptic solution and they told me to just wipe gently the affected areas with the pads and apply a powder that they gave me. It definitely does the trick when his feet are flared up. They say to use the scrubs and the powder 2-3 times daily. But you will have to bring her in to the vet for an appointment and make sure there is nothing else going on, like any type of bacterial infection. The vet can provide you with the scrubs and the powder if it is allergy related.
Think about it, when we go outside, we put on shoes that help protect our feet when walking on all types of terrain and irritants that may be on the ground, like rock salt, oil spills from cars, chemicals on lawns and grass and even just plain old pollen. So my guess is that she is having some sort of allergy or irritant reaction, but definitely take a look at her toes to see if they are red and irritated and make an appointment with your vet if they are.
Best of luck to you : )
Thanks for the reply. I did take her to the vet, and he told me he believes it is some type of allergy. He gave me the scrubs, as well as the powder. We just started using it, so I'm not sure if it will do the trick yet. Thanks for the help