Diarrhea - how to proceed - ideas?

Thread: Diarrhea - how to proceed - ideas?

Jenica is offline Senior Member

DefaultDiarrhea - how to proceed - ideas?

To give you the background story - a bit lengthy:
    February 18th one of the two (most likely Jenica) had diarrhea in the house - multiple locations and very liquid. I was only out of the house for an hour tops so it must have come on very urgently.
    February 20th Jenica had diarrhea in the house (she actually managed to open her crate)
    February 22nd one of the two had again diarrhea
    February 26th Jenica had diarrhea (this time she jumped over a baby gate)
    Throughout the whole time Jenica was behaving absolutely normal and when walked she had loose stool. Diesel had also looser stool that normal. Jenica is very sensitive and there was a number of routine changes in the week of the 18th which could have upset her, so we waited a few days to see if her tummy would settle again by itself.
    But on the 26th we brought both of them to the vet for a checkup and they were both put on 15 ml Panacur (5 days, once a day) and Metronidazole 250 mg (7 days, twice a day) as the vet suspected they may have contracted Giardia.
    Over the next week they both improved. Jenica's stools were more solid, but over the last few days she had a few looser stools.

Which brings us to today. One of the two had again diarrhea while we were at work. I talked to the vet and she wants to run a more complicated fecal test once we know which dog is having problems (when I walked Jenica after the call she had diarrhea again, so I am pretty sure it is her). The vet is thinking this could be caused by the allergies that Jenica is having and that we should consider switching her food to a vet diet and see what the result of the fecal test is. I am tending more towards that she may be having Giardia and that maybe we should repeat the treatment.

What are your thoughts?
    And thank you for reading this lengthy novel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I'd fast her for at least a day and then start with small amounts of chicken and rice (more rice than chicken) with some probiotics and digestive enzymes, get her up to a good amount of food and leave her on that for at least 1-2 weeks. After that slowly re-introduce her regular food and see if shes still having issues, at least then you'll know its the food.

If she's still having diarrhea on the chicken/rice then I would blame giardia.

Hope that helps!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317 View Post
    If she's still having diarrhea on the chicken/rice then I would blame giardia.
    I agree with that statement.

Saba had giardia his first year and that's how I proceeded. Meds - good poop, more diarrhea, bland food, more diarrhea, meds etc. Took about 3 or 4 treatments or so as he was tested for numerous things and it turned out he had some resistant strain of giardia. It was bad but eventually it got better.
    Poor Jenica Hope she gets better soon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jenica is offline Senior Member

Thanks for your comments and well wishes. Since Diesel's stool was a little soft this morning, we did not feed breakfast to either of them and will probably also withhold dinner.
    We will have to see what we can give Jenica for a bland diet, as unfortunately so far she has always refused to eat rice. She will pick out anything else that is in it (e.g., chicken) and spit out the rice and she has refused food for up to three days when we tried to feed her rice. Maybe we will pick up a few cans of gastro food at the vet.
    Thanks again!

myFirstlab is offline Member

WHen my mady had diarrhea, we boiled chicken breast and chopped it up in really tiny pieces and mixed it with rice, and added lots of water since i know they may get dehydrated a bit when having diarrhea. i think the water or the chicken chopped up is what helped her eat the rice? or maybe my puppy just likes to eat everything . lol good luck with her..

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Doesn't have to be rice Gabi, thats just the most common. You can use any starch really, potatoes, pasta, etc.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!