Pup with recessed vulva and 1 st heat
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pup with recessed vulva and 1 st heat

DefaultPup with recessed vulva and 1 st heat

Hi guys,

Bailey is four months old and has a recessed vulva. Vet wanted to do surgery with spaying, but after reading about it here, we decided to talk to him about what is recommended here. He has no problems with it. I have never had a female dog, so I have no idea what to expect with her going into heat. I know this may sound strange, but how do you keep the discharge from getting all over the place?

Thanks in advance,
    Robin

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

scutter is offline Senior Member

my dog is going into her first heat she is about 12 days into it and still bleeding. we bought some puppy diapers and also someone told us about little short you can buy that you just put panty liners in the shorts and the dog wears the shorts and you just change out the panty liners. also keeping the dog in an area such as a tile floor where you can clean it up easy

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks so much. Sounds like what female humans do. LOL, I can't believe it.

Robin

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

Our dog had the same issue and we let her go through one heat. Unfortunately I couldn't find any of the pads locally, so we made do with having her sit on towels....though it didn't work very well. FYI - Having the one heat pretty much fixed the problem. I'm sure you already know this, but you have to be extremely careful when they are in heat. We didn't even let our dog in our fenced yard alone.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I am so glad you have decided not to spay your pup. This is the best thing for her. Total heat usually lasts about 4 weeks. As mentioned always keep her on leash when in the yard.

The heat cycle is not as bad as most think. Dogs don't bleed as heavily as humans. Do yourself a favor and buy 2 diapers. Trust me there will be times you will take her out and forget to take the diaper off and she will squat and pee in it. You need a back up :-)

Since she has a RV she may be prone to UTIs. There is info here on natural ways to prevent UTIs until she has her first heat and vulva corrects.

Hearty Pet Talkin’ Tails Blog

Thanks for the information guys. We will not let her off her leash (while outside) until she is finished. This diaper thing is going to be funny. I was talking to a lady at work and she used her daughters underwear for her dog. Just cut a hole for her tail. Too funny!

Bailey has not had a UTI, but another pup from her litter did, and I suspect I know why (another RV).

Thanks again,
    Robin

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

We did the Same for Sammi and it did the trick- although the whole heat thing was Pain- I just used some Velcro diapers I got at pet smart and put regular pads in them. She left them alone no problem- I'll have to find a picture of her she was so pitiful- LOL

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Be prepared for this look

montoya's is offline Senior Member

Meekah had a recessed vulva and after her first heat, just a couple of weeks ago, she no longer has this. I asked my vet and she said that it is a very common occurrance and just as common that it corrects itself after the first heat. She did not reccommend the surgery unless she kept getting UTI's or it did not fix itself with maturity. to help prevent the uti's we used the baby wipes after each potty break and this helped alot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast