Weight at 5.5 months

Thread: Weight at 5.5 months

tyhags is offline Junior Member

DefaultWeight at 5.5 months

My Bailey just got spayed about 10 days ago. We went to get her stitches out yesterday and while we were there I asked the vet at Banfield if she had an estimate of what Baileys full grown weight would be. She weighs 41 lbs now and the vet told me that she is full grown. Her mother was 65 lbs and father was 85 lbs. I just wanted a second opinion on the matter. It is true that she could be full grown at only 5.5 months?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

No, she's not full grown. She will not be fully matured until 18 months-2 years old. She will probably reach her full height by about 9 months (I think) but she will continue to fill out weight-wise until about 18-24 months. Take her weight at 1 year old and add about 10% of that to get an estimate of her fully matured size (keep in mind it's only an estimate.
    My Java was 72 lbs at 1 year. She has finished growing in height, but she will gain another 10% of her body weight as she matures-so, she'll gain another 7 lbs or so to be about 80lbs when she is fully grown.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

My girl is 16 months and still growing. A few months ago she was 59 now she is 63. I think she will max out at about 67?? But ya never know. Her daddy was a big boy and mom is 70lbs.
    Kim

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tyhags is offline Junior Member

I keep hearing to check your dogs front leg bones to tell if they are still growing? Is this the bone about 5" above the dogs foot? And how knoby will it be if the growth plates are still open?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Your vet thinks that a puppy is FULL GROWN at 5.5 months? I'd find another vet. Who knows what other knowledge gaps exist there.

Your puppy is far from full grown. And - since you spayed her at this age you can expect her growth plates to stay open longer and she'll be taller than she would have been had she stayed intact.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

It's difficult to predict adult Lab weight because adult "Labs" can mature at anywhere from 50 lbs or less to 125 lbs or more. Additionally, there are so many varieties -- bench, field, back yard breeders, etc. -- that contribute to the variation.

I've seen 2 different curves of weight gain among AKC Lab pups.

One, like my Puff, traces the shape of the silhouette of a USA football's NW quadrant when the noses are aligned E-W. Convex.
    A more rapid rise in the beginning and gradually tapering off to a level line.

At 9 weeks/63 days, Puff weighed 6 lbs. At 165 days (roughly 5.5 months) she weighed 35 lbs. She matured at 62 lbs. If your Bailey follows a curve like my Puff, I'd predict she'll weigh 68-72 lbs.

I read a study published in JAVMA about a line of AKC Labs at the Seeing Eye Institute in NJ which included growth rate findings. That line started off slowly and then for awhile had a more rapid increase of weight gain and then quickly tapered off -- so in essence, there was kind of a stretched out "S" shape.

ETA -- I agree with Sharon's comment about getting another vet if she thinks a 5.5 month old Lab is full grown.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

patm is offline Senior Member

I'm a little concerned that the vet thought she was at her full weight too. Maybe some breeds of dogs might be, but labs certainly aren't at their full weight at the age of 5.5 months. At the very least the vet shows a real lack of knowledge of "lab things"

scutter is offline Senior Member

I was concerned about my puppies wieght and still am to some extint. She is just over a year and weighs 51 lbs and has maintained 51 lbs for several months now. I was hoping for around 60. her mom was about 60 and dad about 70. she has a nice chest and feet but a little smaller in the head than I had hoped for. I hope she will continue to fill out but don't know

Thanks

Scutter

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I love smaller Labs -- they fit so easily in so many more places. My Bess was the runt of her litter and weighed 55 lbs. as an adult.

So when I saw my Puff next to her littermates and realized she also was the runt of her litter (6 lbs @ 9 wks to her littermates' 12 lbs.) that sold me.

Scutter, hopefully you also will come to appreciate how good something can be in a smaller package.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

scutter is offline Senior Member

Bob,

thanks for your encouragement. I duck hunt mostly out of a boat so having a smaller lab in the boat is a plus. Also not having the stress on the joints of an older dog is a positive. My only real concern is whether or not she will be able to retrieve geese. My male dog is 9 yrs old but has been a hunting machine that has been able to retrieve anything and even some long retrieves that were pretty amazing to me. My first female was a yellow lab about 75 lbs but had a really nice blocky head and also able to retrieve anything. Each dog is unique and Zoe the new female is an adorable sweet little lab that is like a rocket. For hunt tests size won't matter but in the real hunting enviorment she may struggle a little with Geese. even if she is not able to retrieve geese, we will love her and she is already part of the family

Thanks

scutter