asprin

Thread: asprin

SamsSugarBear is offline Junior Member

Defaultasprin

can I give asprin to my lab? If so what kind and how much..he weighs 78 pounds.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Yes. One regular aspirin should be fine. I use buffered aspirin or ascriptin. Dogs to not metabolize aspirin like humans, per my vet, so I do not give it for more than 2 days in a row. YMMV.

Yes. My 6 year old female lab has undiagnosed right leg lameness. Her orthopedic physician said 1 - 325mg buffered aspirin per day was fine. She also takes prescription Rimadyl, but not the same day. I alternate aspirin and Rimadyl. Usually, 2 days on 1 aspirin per day, then 1 day of 1 Rimadyl. She weighs about 76 pounds. Until she gets diagnosed, the doctor said that rotation would be fine. Also, she is on supplements with G & C, with MSM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I should add that the doctor also has her taking 5 mg (which is 1/2 tablet of the regular strength) of Pepcid per day. This is because the aspirin (and definitely the Rimadyl) may upset her stomach, even though it is buffered. So, get ready for some smelly gas.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Ask your vet about using aspirin (bufferin) and other NSAIDS together. From what I have read you need to go off the aspirin for 7 days prior to starting a NSAID (Rimidyl, Metecam, etc.) or vise versa. It is dangerous to the dog otherwise.

Taken from:

http://www.dogaware.com/arthritis.html#nsaids

"Aspirin is the "original" NSAID, and can be used for mild pain, though it often causes gastric ulceration and bleeding (in one study, aspirin caused bleeding in the stomach and intestines of 100% of the dogs). For this reason, the buffered kind, such as Ascriptin, is preferable. Giving with food may prevent stomach upset, but not bleeding and ulceration. There is also a chewable form of buffered aspirin for dogs, called Vetrin. Aspirin dosage is 5-15 mg/lb, no more often than every 8 to 12 hours. Never combine aspirin with other NSAIDs or Prednisone. Enteric coated aspirin is not recommended for dogs, as the coating may not break down. See Giving Your Dog Aspirin for more info. Note that White Willow Bark is the herbal equivalent of aspirin, and may be less likely to cause gastic upset, though all the same warnings still apply. Liquid tinctures, such as Herbspirin, seem to work better than pills. Never give aspirin to cats. Aspirin is COX-1 inhibiting. Never switch from Aspirin to another NSAID without waiting at least a week to ten days in between."
    Last edited by Snowco Labradors; 02-23-2010 at 03:10 PM.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

What would you be using it for?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!