Heat Help!

Thread: Heat Help!

DefaultHeat Help!

Hi all... i am new here... i am the owner of a 6 month old female black lab... she is awesome. She just started her first heat cycle on Sunday. My vet recommended she go through her first heat before i get her spayed. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me about her heat.

Yesterday she started kind of ignoring me, and not coming when called, etc. Is that normal during heat? She doesnt seem interested in playing either.. which is her favorite activity.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!!! I have had labs before, but never one going through heat! Please help!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Yesterday she started kind of ignoring me, and not coming when called, etc. Is that normal during heat?
    I think that's perfectly natural during heat -- they're responding much more strongly to the call of nature than to their master's voice.

She doesnt seem interested in playing either.. which is her favorite activity.
    During this season, she's not interested in playing with you -- she wants to play with the fur boys and their fur boy gam es.

I remember how fortunate I felt with Bess at these time that she always loved to fetch her training dummy.

When we made our regular daily visit to the pond several hundred yards from home for her to swim and fetch (during those times when she was in heat) sometimes 10-15 male dogs would appear out of nowhere, begin circling and sniffing, and start to mount Bess. She wasn't responsive to my commands at those times, either but, when I'd sling her dummy, she'd go after it -- sometimes leaving a male dog that had mounted her suspended in air.

I'd sling the dummy, Bess would race after it (and I'd race after Bess, as fast as I could, to get possession of the magical training dummy again) and so did all the male dogs. The group of us did that over and over all the way back home.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

nicole is offline Senior Member

Yes, some do forget their mind a bit while in season and it's normal, some get a little mopey or clingy. Please DON'T be taking her places where she'll encounter off leash dogs while she's season.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Yes, no off leash encounters with other dogs. In fact keep her on leash whenever you are outside. males can smell a female in heat and will travel miles to get to her so don't leave her in the yard unattended. They can even breed thru a chain link fence.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snowco Labradors View Post
    Yes, no off leash encounters with other dogs. In fact keep her on leash whenever you are outside. males can smell a female in heat and will travel miles to get to her so don't leave her in the yard unattended. They can even breed thru a chain link fence.
    or males can JUMP the fence if they are not patient enough to try thru fences (I had a male that would jump a 6ft chain link fence AND a abit more than 6ft wooden fence to get to a female (we did put a stop to this behavior though)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

TheMummy is offline Junior Member

Can I ask what may be a rather dumb question, but I'm having trouble identifying the correct symptoms for coming into season (I only know what humans do! ha ha)
    3-4 weeks ago, I was surprised by a strange dog breaking into our garden. Our 8 month bitch Delta was also surprised. He was quite friendly, nothing untoward, and eventually was reunited with his owner. The following day I noticed Delta was wet on her "bits" and smelled very strongly, so we all thought she had come on heat. Two days later the wetness went, the smell went - all back to normal. Now, 4 weeks later, she is menstruating. So presumably she is in season now, right? So what happened 4 weeks ago? Was it a "practice run"? I'm confused.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

She could have had a split season. This will be the fertile half if so, so please be very careful w/ her. Leash to potty, no neighborhood walks unless you want every boy visiting. I know of one lab girl who jumped the fence to be bred recently and now has several pups out of their CH male (of another breed). Ooops.

And folks, chlorophyll works VERY well for me. As soon as I suspect mine are coming in (usually swelling is apparent), I start giving them this. I've not had any "visitors" for years now (knock on wood since I've got one in currently and expect 2 more to fall in line shortly). Anne

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Anne, where do you get the chlorophyll? I have seen it for dogs, but I know you can also just get in the health food store. Do you have a link to what you buy? With our boys and Grace, I would love something to help. Grace is due back in soon.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Canyon Labradors View Post
    Anne, where do you get the chlorophyll? I have seen it for dogs, but I know you can also just get in the health food store. Do you have a link to what you buy? With our boys and Grace, I would love something to help. Grace is due back in soon.
    I just buy the human stuff at the health food store. It's about 60-70mg. I also give a "green" powder supplement (alfalfa, kelp, etc) so I have to wonder if that doesn't help also since most if not all of the chlorophyll supps are derived from alfalfa leaves.

As I thought, Sonya is now in season as of this am. Hmmm, not holding out much hope on Kiku's obed/rally trials next weekend (shes 17 mos and hasn't been in yet). At least we made it thru the last hunt test of the season! Ah the joys. Anne

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Thanks, I'll have to pick some up next time I see it at the store.