NLR-hip dysplasia

Thread: NLR-hip dysplasia

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

DefaultNLR-hip dysplasia

My rottweiler has mild hip dysplasia in his right hip. Last month he began to yelp once or twice when getting up from naps and such. Yesterday after playing frisbee he had slight limp. Can I assume his hip is bothering him? Vet told us his hip was so mild it wouldn't bother him until he was old, and in fact encouraged us to run agility. Dog is four years now. I keep him thin so weight isn't issue.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I am no expert, but have lived with H.D for 4 years, and if he is yelping he is in pain. When did the vets do the xray to diagnose the H.D. Why I ask is when I adopted Ernie 4 years ago we suspected he had H.D. My first vet said yes, without xrays and don't do anything and wait until he was older, then fill him with drugs. I wanted to know for sure and prefered to manage it before it became bad so went to another vet who xrayed and yes was H.D. Only way to positively diagnose iit is by xray. They check all the joints at the same time and Erns were worse than we thought.

I was told no frisbee. It is the jumping and spinning suddenly that puts too much strain on the hips. I was also told not to do agility unless he was fit, (he wasn't at the time) no more than 30 mins walk and if possible swimming. Swimming has made a huge difference. I know they need to be dogs, but to save him pain I do watch his activity. Not too much and not too little, and keep the weight down. Glucosamine is also good for their joints.
    Last edited by kassabella; 02-13-2010 at 04:29 PM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the reply...we had him xrayed for OFA almost a year ago and found out then. He scales my 6 ft fence and jumpes neatly over 4ft. fence, so we never knew there was a problem. xray shows some mild change in socket and ball isn't perfect fit but not bad. Rated as mild from OFA. Could he have more changes in the last year? Should we redo xrays?

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

Our dog was diagnosed with mild HD when she was young.....worse on one side than the other. My vet mentioned different activities to avoid and playing frisby (which we have never done anyway) was at the top of his list. He said the jumping and spinning were extremely hard on the joints. Like Kassabella/Chris we choose to x-ray early because we had seen a few things that indicated there might be a problem.......and we have been very careful to avoid activities that might aggravate the condition. Others things the vet mentioned were not letting her play rough with other dogs or do repetitive retrieves involving sliding to a stop and sudden turns. (not really a problem because she's not all that interested in retrieving ) We are really careful about who she plays with also. At the time my vet told me that there was no way to tell for sure how fast her hips would go down hill. He also said to keep her weight on the lean side and that swimming (low impact exercise) would be good. We had her x-rayed again two years after the first x-ray while she was under to have a broken tooth extracted, and in the two years the joint had a fair bit more arthritis; again one joint still worse than the other for some reason. I'm pretty sure that if we weren't so careful it would be getting worse much faster. That said....We walk 45 minutes to an hour most days; adjusting this if she appears sore.....which touch wood hasn't been too often. If it was me I'd consult my vet and see what he/she thought. The obvious thing (because you already know there is some degree of HD) is to think hips; and it may be, but it could also be something else.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Canula2000 View Post
    Thanks for the reply...we had him xrayed for OFA almost a year ago and found out then. He scales my 6 ft fence and jumpes neatly over 4ft. fence, so we never knew there was a problem. xray shows some mild change in socket and ball isn't perfect fit but not bad. Rated as mild from OFA. Could he have more changes in the last year? Should we redo xrays?
    I don't know about other dogs, but Ernie did. I thought I had been careful with him, or maybe it was different vet. He had developed arthritis. Ernie too has one joint a lot worse than the other. He tend to favour the other leg and front legs, so often they are sore. At the first xray I was told he wont live to be an old dog. Second time they said nothing they could do, and pretty much gave up on him. This was when I got the swimming pool for him. He is now 8. We should have another xray to check his hips, but for me our vet bills are enourmous anyway and it want change anything.

Odd thing is there are time he can leap over small barriers and has no trouble jumping in and out of the car, yet has trouble with stairs. He also has a spur on his back.

Let us know how you get on.

If Erns is sore I keep him quiet for a few days. Very low key stuff. He is also on Adequan injections once a month.
    I agree with Top of the Hill. It could be something else, but if your dog is in pain I would see a vet.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/