Hypothyroid
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypothyroid

blaisberg is offline Member

DefaultHypothyroid

Hi, I searched the site but couldn't find any threads on thyroid problems. I read that the most common breed for hypothyroidism is Labs, so I was surprised I didn't find anything.

Anyway, we suspected Charlie might have a thyroid problem because he seemed lethargic, was shedding more than usual, and is always famished - more so than a usual Lab.

So he started on soloxine yesterday. I know it takes a while for the artificial hormones to kick in but was just looking to see if anyone else has any experience with it.

Thanks,
    Jocelyn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Did they draw any blood and run a full thyroid panel? I mean why just be suspect, be clear. It is super easy to test for.
    Kim

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I was wondering about the test too. Maddy's on the low end of normal, and had been on one tab of .7 mg soloxine for the last 6 months. I ran out of pills and had her tested again, and she is still on the lower end of normal, so they upped her to 2 tabs a day. We didn't have any signs of lethargy or hair loss, but a problem with her keeping on weight despite eating only 2 cups a day. She does have some pigment issues which seemed to improve a bit after going on the meds 6 months ago, hopefully they will completely go away after being on a double dose.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yes, of course he had a full thyroid panel done. Are there vets that would give someone soloxine meds without a full panel? Hopefully not just based on a T4 test?

He's on .8 mg and we need to test him after 3 weeks to make sure the dosage is right before my vet will give me a year's prescription. Jen, if you've gone from .7 to 1.4 you might want to get tested again much soon than 6 months. That seems like quite a jump. My vet did tell me that we want the results to be high-normal, so clearly .7 isn't enough, but I'd imagine you'd want to get the dosage right as quickly as possible.

They don't have to do the full panel when trying to get the dosage right, just a T4 test, which is good - less expensive.

hey the way you worded it made it sound like it was just "suspect"ed and not definite and it lead me to believe there was no test. Just how it reads.

That said thyroid is easily corrected. Hopefully you will see some improvements soon.
    Kim

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

My lab is hypothyroid. He wasn't even a year old when he was diagnosed. He had issues with his fur (was coming out in chunks) and had a very musty odour to his coat. He's completely fine. Took a bit for his energy and coat to get back to normal but he's very healthy. He gets his T4 levels checked every year and all's perfect. He started off with one pill once a day, but after a few months the vet decided to increase it to twice a day based on his results. Can't remember the name & dosage exactly. They are not very expensive and he loves taking them (as he always gets them with a little treat..!)
    As long as he's on the right medication and dosage and your vet is dilligent in checking his T4 levels regularly, you won't have much to worry about. He'll be fine.

Kim, sorry for the wording. I can see how it looked like a suspicion, but I would be really worried about someone starting their dog on soloxine without a confirmation.

Neska74 - do you remember how long before your Lab started to show signs of improvement? My husband is also hypothyroid and I know it's a pretty slow reacting drug in humans. Given that dogs take a much higher dosage, I just didn't know if I'd start to see changes within days, or if it would take weeks. At least you're in Guelph - home of some pretty awesome dog health resources (I used to live in Toronto).

Thanks - I didn't mean to be vague - my surprise was more that I didn't find any previously posted information on hypothyroidism given the pervasiveness in Labs... but it might be because this forum moved - not sure that searches look at the previous info or we're building up a new history.

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

I'm home now so I was able to check that Saba is on Thyro-Tab Levothyroxine Sodium, 0.3 mg twice a day. Unfortunately I really can't remember how long it took him to get better... I think once we got the dosage right it took a few weeks - maybe 3..? I think it's different with every dog of course. Mind you, like I said, at first when he was taking the pills for a few months, the dosage was too low (once a day) so then we had to switch to twice a day after he was tested again. I judge it by how his coat changed for the better since it used to be quite awful. He was never very active/hyper so I can't really think back and remember his energy changing too much (I do remember that he used to sleep a lot before the meds kicked in). I think we started the pills in June, he did show some improvement in August and switched to twice a day in September / October... so I think by November his coat looked really good. Sorry I'm not much help. My memory stinks and it was 3.5 years ago.
    I hope Charlie feels better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Neska74 View Post
    My memory stinks and it was 3.5 years ago..
    Could have happened 3 days ago for me and I would not remember LOL
    Kim

TBGSAM is offline Senior Member

My Bailey isn't a lab but he was diagnosed with a thyroid problem he is also on Soloxine 0.8mg 1 1/2 pill twice a day. He overdosed on this same level back in August and was taken back down to 2 pills a day. We had bloodwork done 4 weeks later and had to increase to 2.5 pills a day. In December we noticed he was loosing weight and his hair was thining took him back in and had more bloodwork done, with the results we had to increase his meds back up to 3 pills again 1.5 twice a day.

We have been keeping a close eye on him since this is the same dose he overdosed on - he was panting even in his sleep, lost weight - so far his hair has finally stopped coming out and he is gaining a little weight back. He will go back again within the next week or two for bloodwork to make sure he is levels are ok with this higher dose.

It isn't expensive to treat just have to get him on the right dosage. We can usually see a difference/change 3-6 weeks with is dose change.
    Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05, Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast