Too young for grain free

Thread: Too young for grain free

lisa is offline Senior Member

DefaultToo young for grain free

Lola is a little over 3 months and Gracie is 1 year old. I would like to put them on the same food if possible, but I am not sure if Lola is too young for grain free. I also heard it is not good for their kidneys...because of the high protein? Is this true? Lola has had a yeast and bacteria problem w her ears already and now Gracie is starting w a red ear. I am not sure if it is the food, but so many people on this board say grain free cleared up all their pups ear problems. I really dread changing foods, but if ear problems continue, grain free is my next try. Any info on this would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Most grain free foods say they are not recommended for dogs under 18 months of age. It's mostly due to the calcium/phosphorus levels.

Laura

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

While the c/p is an issue in most grain free foods. Orijen large breed pup formula is fine for growing pups. Switch to the adult formula at 12-14 months.

As for high protein, that is not an issue. Raising litters from 5 weeks of age on the Orijen LBP and other breeders I know too and all pups are doing great.

here is more info for you on protein and pups:

http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/puppy-protein/

And here is another on the issue of protein and kidneys

http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter...s-senior-dogs/

And here is another:

http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/dogs-and-protein/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Nick is offline Senior Member

I also heard it is not good for their kidneys...because of the high protein? Is this true?
    No. That was the conventional wisdom in the past, but that has since been disproven. For some reason, the old school of thought has persisted. Where it is still partially true is dogs with pre-existing kidney problems. Even then, it's a lesser degree of amount of protein and more about the quality of the protein. The problem with most grain free foods is the amount of calcium. Until the pup is around 9 months old, they have no mechanism to excrete excess calcium so it gets stored in the bones. This is a big factor in hip dysplasia.

The old school of thought also said diets too high in protein would cause growth-related problems, but that too has been discounted.

In the past, some diets were said to be “too hot” (ie, contained high levels of dietary protein) and promoted rapid growth rate predisposing large and giant breed dogs to skeletal problems. However, controlled research done in 1991 by Nap et al.,2 showed that protein was uninvolved. Great Dane puppies were fed identical diets except for the protein content from weaning for 18 weeks. These diets had a broad range of dietary protein compositions of 31.6%, 23.1% and 14.6%. This research demonstrated that skeletal development problems were NOT related to variations of the dietary protein content. Thus, protein in and of itself does not effect bone development or influence the incidence of developmental bone diseases.2,3
    http://www.breedsmartpartners.com/br...P&articleID=60
    Last edited by Nick; 01-26-2010 at 11:33 AM.

lisa is offline Senior Member

Thanks for all the information

What food should be given to dogs? Can we feed it with thrice a day? How to supply them with nutrients?

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by carrole View Post
    What food should be given to dogs? Can we feed it with thrice a day? How to supply them with nutrients?
    A quality dog food will supply the nutrients your dog needs - unless they have specific issues that they need additional supplements for.

Feed pups 3 times a day and switch to 2x around 5-6 months of age.