ear infection

Thread: ear infection

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Unhappyear infection

Well, Dio is getting to be an expensive dog... He's on bed rest for 3 more weeks because of a hyper extended leg and now it seems that he has an ear infection. At least, I think he does...

I cleaned both ears on Friday, and today (Sunday) I looked into his ears and one is clean and normal looking, but the other is red and very inflamed. It is also covered in reddish-brown crap, the same stuff that I cleaned on Friday.

Any one have any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ugadawg1696 is offline Member

Well I have to say Lucy is a very expensive dog, as well...health wise. She is only 11 months old but has had so many issues that I have had to take her to the vet for!! She is having somewhat of the same problem now it seems as Dio is having.

She has been shaking her head and pawing/scratching at her ears. I had my mom look at her ears and she agreed with me that it looks like ear mites/maybe an ear infection. It's not really red and inflamed, but it does have brown crap all in it, which may be mite dung ??

There may be something at the pet store you can get for ear infections for Dio, that's what it sounds like to me. As far as my Lucy, I guess I may try to find something for ear mites, and if it doesn't get better take her in.

Keep me updated with Dio and how he is feeling! If it gets any worse he probably needs to visit the vet. Best of luck!

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

Koko hasn't been messing with her ears but I had the same problem as you Dio, took her to vet and she did have an ear infection. She got prescribed prednisone and ear drops. Huge improvement after 24 hrs.
    Katie adopted by koko

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

It sounds like an allergy to me. My Frankie is allergic to egg product, fish product...Tucker is allergic to corn product. I put them on a grain free food and the ears are perfect now. If Frankie has anything other than this food, his left ear immediately becomes red, inflamed, brown goo...head shaking.

What are you feeding?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

What are you feeding amy? Koko is on the EVO herring formula
    Katie adopted by koko

Deanna1002 is offline Senior Member

Casey's ears have been like that on and off for seven years. Once i switched diets, it completely dissapeared, no sign of ear issue. They are on raw, but i know that switching to grain-free also helps.

DefaultEars

I would take her to the vet and get it treated. As you know dog ear canals are shaped funny and have a tendency to trap debris and infection against the eardrum and cause loss of hearing. After treated ask you vet for a ear wash you can used weekly to keep things clean.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Frequent cleaning of ears can impact the Ph and actually make more infections happen. I would absolutely get the vet to treat - but try to address what is causing the problem in the first place (like diet).
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Good point BBG.
    I keep looking at this from a performance dog standpoint. My dogs are in the water for extended periods of time 5 days a week, so we clean ears on all 4 dogs every Sunday with a wash given to us by the vet.