Dry Flaky Areas on Skin

Thread: Dry Flaky Areas on Skin

DefaultDry Flaky Areas on Skin

Vaccines gave my dog Izzy yeast since she was 5 months old. We have had her on a yeast reginmen and she has been wonderful and completely better after 2 months.
    (I am so thankful we found that site.) We continue the regimen because this doesn't hurt her and to be sure we are doing this for a year which vet and yeast regimen company recommended so I tell you this so you don't assume that is the issue at hand.

Her skin is now flaky like dandruff - not everywhere though, under her front legs and a few areas on her side. It's so dry in our home right now that my skin looks the same. It is itchy for me and so when I see her scratching I know she feels the same.
    We do not believe this is yeast because 1. no more smell. 2. ears and pads smell wonderful again and she has been fine until this cold winter where she is in the house and it's dry gas heat.(Izzy is 10 month old Choc lab)

Before I run off to the vet I thought I would ask - Is there a home remedy that will help her skin? potions that have been told to me to put on her skin do nothing but smell nice. Does olive oil in her food really work?

Thanks. (Izzy thanks you too!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Try apple cider viniger organic, Braggs brand with the mother in it, at 1 tbsp in food with water added. Give it 2-4 weeks to see results. works great for my dogs. you can split it at 1 1/2 in a.m. and p.m. meal if the dog does not like the taste. The water cuts the bite of the viniger.

Also good for warding off yeast.

http://curezone.com/blogs/fm.asp?i=973742

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Her skin is now flaky like dandruff - not everywhere though, under her front legs and a few areas on her side. It's so dry in our home right now that my skin looks the same. It is itchy for me and so when I see her scratching I know she feels the same.
    Get a whole house humidifier. You can pay about $400-500 to get one installed in your furnace (Aprilaire, I think)** which doesn't take much maintenance OR you can buy a $150 unit from Lowe's or Home Depot that holds two 2 5/8 gallon jugs that need refilling maybe a little over once every 24-34 hours. Very small amounts of 2 liquids are added to each jug, one a bacteriostat to prevent molds & bacteria from forming and the other to prevent calcification.

By running a humidifier, you can keep your thermostat lowered, save money heating, plus everyone will feel MUCH more comfortable and healthy. The smaller humidifier units just aren't worth it IMO -- they take refilling several times a day as well as night.

ETA: ** Today's Topeka Capital-Journal newspaper has a large ad by a local h/ac firm offering a General 1042 power humidifier installed in your furnace complete with humidistat $298 (USD) (normal installation). Unfortunately, the placement of my old furnace is such that it'd be far from a normal installation -- that's why I'm using the unit I have and filling the jugs. But I did have a Aprilaire put on the h/ac unit I replaced in a home we remodeled and a General humidifier added to the h/ac unit for an office suite I leased. Both excellent choices.

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 01-11-2010 at 11:45 AM. Reason: addition of more information
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748