Switching foods AGAIN
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching foods AGAIN

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

DefaultSwitching foods AGAIN

Koko has been on the EVO herring and salmon formula for a little over a month now. No diarrhea or vomiting but her dandruff is twice as bad and her ears are always dirty now. Not sure if it is a coincidence or what? Bringing in the new dog saturday who I think also suffers with allergies I want to get them on the same food if possible and it not cost as much as the EVO. EVO is costing me 59.99/30lb bag. Any suggestions? I was considering the Natural Balance LID
    Katie adopted by koko

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

not sure where you are located but i would bet the dryness is more due to the dry air than it is the food. Or maybe a shedding issue. Mine get very dry skin when they blow coat and also in the winter. I normally run a humidifier. Right now I have not turned ours on yet and really need too because I have flakey dry coat on two of my blacks.
    Kim

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Ditto on the humidifier as a likely possibility if you're using heat this winter. Humidifiers really make a difference and allow you to run a lower -- but comfortable --inside temp.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I've been running a humidifier all month to no avail...I do it for everyone's sake. Regaurdless I still need to switch foods...
    Katie adopted by koko

Are you washing your Lab, Katie?

When I had Bess (B♀), she had dandruff incessantly -- my fault, I now realize.

She loved to roll in black stinky and it was hard to see where it was. I used baby shampoo to wash this out, presuming it was gentle, and of course, being black, it was hard to see where the stinky spot was.

Shampoos not formulated for dogs usually do not match the pH of dogs' skins -- those non-dog shampoos are almost always too acid and irritating to dogs' skin, causing dandruff.

Just fishing for possible reasons.

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":

No, I've stopped bathing her, and I also purchased soap free oatmeal shampoo for dogs by biogroom for when I need to. I brush her every other day. I just need to find the right fit for food and supplements and give it a good 6 months to see positive results. Atleast she doesn't itch or have any hot spots. I can't help but think she might be allergic to the frontline flea control. I'll be changing that soon too.
    Katie adopted by koko

adbrad is offline Junior Member

on the dry skin issue have you tried cod liver oil or some other supplement when we had our old lab he had a terrible coat and skin, which was originally caused by a not very good brand of food.
    We used to pop one cod liver oil capsule in his food once a day and it worked wonders

I think adbrad's suggestion of a fish oil capsule could help. Puff gets one a day (Costco brand) and has no dry skin. I drag the end of the capsule through peanut butter (the same with a G&C right after) and she swallowes each whole.

But adbrad -- what's with the promoting of a competing Lab forum in your signature? What's the aim of the forum? It looks as if it's just beginning with only a handful of members. Have you joined JL hoping to gain some members from here? Some transparency would be appreciated.

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 01-09-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: method for giving capsules & tables

adbrad is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr. View Post
    But adbrad -- what's with the promoting of a competing Lab forum in your signature? What's the aim of the forum? It looks as if it's just beginning with only a handful of members. Have you joined JL hoping to gain some members from here? Some transparency would be appreciated.

ok i was told if i posted the link to my forum in a signature on other forums it could attract new members.
    I can remove the link if it is going to offend people.

ok i was told if i posted the link to my forum in a signature on other forums it could attract new members.
    I can remove the link if it is going to offend people.
    That's what I thought was your reason for posting on JL

But I still don't understand why you think another Lab forum is needed.

Do you have some agenda to serve Lab owners other than what JL or a number of other Lab forums currently offers? Or are you doing it to build it up to a large enough membership to attract advertisers to pay for space?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast