What dog food???

Thread: What dog food???

nalicrom is offline Junior Member

DefaultWhat dog food???

I have had 3 labs, 2 of which died from cancer. My chocolate female died at age 8 from splenic cancer and my yellow male died at age 13 over the weekend from a nasal tumor. I have a black male (age 5) and was thinking of changing his food. I've done some research that links some dry dog foods to increased risks of cancer. Any thoughts out there on whether this is a real concern? If so, any suggestions on what to switch him to? We are currently using Pro Plan chicken shreds. Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

First off, I wouldn't feed the shreds. It's basically Kibbles and Bits with a higher price. You can get ProPlan regular chicken and rice at most pet food stores. It's in a purple and orange bag.

I'm sure there are some who feel some dry foods cause cancer, but honestly I don't think anything has been proven. I had a Lab which was fed ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach and she lived to be 16½ years of age. One daughter was fed the same thing and died at 9½.

I think more damaging is the environment, vaccines and the like. Plus a seminar on canine oncology I attended recently made the point that once a dog reaches a certain age, they are more susceptible to cancers because they're old. 13 is a pretty good age for a Lab, but no it doesn't lessen the pain from the loss.

We are seeing more cancer of the spleen. I'm not sure if anyone knows why yet. Unfortunately, all you can do is minimize chemicals in your and the dog's environment and do not over-vaccinate.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Laura

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I'm with Laura, its all about free radicals, poisons like heartworm prevention, flea/tick/worms blah blah blah going into our dogs.

Keep in mind too, our dogs used to just die of old age, now we know what they're dying from.

I know a breeder who's fed raw for 15 years, lost two dogs under the age of 8 this year to cancer.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydog2much View Post

Keep in mind too, our dogs used to just die of old age, now we know what they're dying from.
    Good point. We now have the technology to know what it is that they're dying from. Same in people.

Laura

nalicrom is offline Junior Member

Thanks for all the input...it really helps!

My main concern is, I don't want you to feel guilty. Easier said than done. I know, I've been there. I'm sure you gave the best care to your dogs that you could.

Sometimes stuff just happens, no matter what we do. Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

Laura