Smell problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smell problem

chicnhed is offline Junior Member

DefaultSmell problem

My Black lab is a little over 1 year old and she can seriously start to smell bad in less than a week after a bath. We don't want to bathe her too often since it'll dry out her skin and coat, but she can easily smell up the room the inhabits. very easily. She's an inside-outside dog, but mostly inside since that's where we are most of the time =)

Is this an indication that she has a bigger problem? Is there something we can do? how often can we bathe her safely? where is the smell coming from?

ick!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

My breeder has a dog who just 'smells different'. He smells almost sour.

The more you bathe the worse it gets.

They do find that the less he's outside, the better he smells. Something about the oils in his coat is what they told me.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

frank is offline Junior Member

Ear infections will make a dog smell bad. I know from first hand experience.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

It could be a number of things. Is he rolling around when he is outside? It could be a yeast infection. What does his ears and skin look like. What are you feeding him? Have you tried wiping him down with a baby wipe to get through till his next bath. I would not bathe more than once a month, and even then it might be too much. I've heard labs skin and coats are different that is why over bathing can cause havoc on their skin. Also, could it be his anal glands? What does it smell like exactly?
    Katie adopted by koko

I would check both her ears and her skin for a yeast infection. In the ears it will look almost like dried blood - and stinky. Also look at her skin, if it has a waxy or flakey substance on it you might have some yeast issues. Riley had a horrible yeast infection in his ears when we got him. Boomer then developed a skin yeast infection. He had flakey and waxey (and smelly) skin. Bathing and swimming wont help. Luckily I found both of theirs was caused by food allergies. I switched them to grain free and no chicken and both are fine. Riley swims every day and no ear problems. Boomer has healthy skin and beautiful coat. Hopefully it's something that simple.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

The bathing will make him stink. When we got Champ, he stunk to high heaven. The family that had him bathed him almost weekly. It took about two months of no bathing before the smell went away, but it did, and he smells sweet now, even if he gets wet. Stop bathing your dog and live with the smell for a few weeks, then you will see that it's completely gone.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

Harlee stinks too but its her feet, they smell awful even on a grain free diet. I have tried everything but her feet stink up the whole house. I am thinking about doing allergy testing...might be the feet though

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

Yeah Koko's feet tend to smell too...but what do you expect? They run through everything and rarely get cleaned. They're not like cats who clean themselves....sigh...I wish! Sometimes I'll just grab a baby wipe and clean them off.
    Katie adopted by koko

LuvRgirl is offline Senior Member

Bella's tootsies smell too, especially if she is onto the rabbits in the yard. But with snow covering everything now, we just wipe her feet with a wet cloth and it's not to bad smelling.....until next time. But what the heck, I love her even with her smelly feet!
    Sweet Bella Mia at Zion National Park.

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

Is it just the smell or any other symptoms? My lab started to get a very musty, sour smell and then his coat started to come out in chunks. Turned out he was hypo-thyroid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast