innerdigital cyst

Thread: innerdigital cyst

Defaultinnerdigital cyst

hope someone out there can help my boy. Samson was diagnosed with an inner digital cyst roughly a year and a half ago. the vet put him on antibiotics for months and even did surgery which was no help. i took him to another vet she told me it was allergies so we did the testing started the treatment. now the soars are worse than ever. originally was on one foot between one toe. now it has spread to both front feet and shows no signs of getting better. he has also now developed the raw spots on his rear hocks that bleed and ooze. we have been forwarded to a dermatologist next week. does anybody have any recommendations or experience with these problems or could it be wrongly diagnosed from the beginning. help ive tried everything recomended with no luck. thanks in advance roger.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Are you located near any University Vetinary School? With what you have done to date, I would try to get Samson into one of the vet schools, at least for diagnosis.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

unfotunately not we are headed to tampa for a dermatologist hopefully to get some answers. after i posted i searched this site and found others with similar problems that are treating with zinc. so i ran to walgreens and got some. i cross my fingers and hope.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Hope the zinc helps or the vet in Tampa. I did a quick search and found the U of FL in Gainesville has a veterinary program.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Sam - My Morgan is 7 - have fought this problem for all that time...tried everything...what seems to work - temporarily - for us is prednisone when they're bad on more than one foot - nothing the rest of the time. We've done allergy testing, elimination diets, extended 300/mo antibiotics, all holistic meds we can try..and it always comes back. However, if we just treat with Pred for 4 or 5 days only, they go away for longer and longer periods now that we're on grain free food...one of the allergies he has is to his own hair follicles - which might be a cause..might not.

Best of luck - is so very frustrating!!! Stacey

Quote Originally Posted by BoatDog View Post
    Sam - My Morgan is 7 - have fought this problem for all that time...tried everything...what seems to work - temporarily - for us is prednisone when they're bad on more than one foot - nothing the rest of the time. We've done allergy testing, elimination diets, extended 300/mo antibiotics, all holistic meds we can try..and it always comes back. However, if we just treat with Pred for 4 or 5 days only, they go away for longer and longer periods now that we're on grain free food...one of the allergies he has is to his own hair follicles - which might be a cause..might not.

Best of luck - is so very frustrating!!! Stacey
    samson is 6 years old this april they started roughly a year and a half ago. we did the prednisone at the beginning with good signs but they never go away for more than a couple of weeks. the long term effects dont warrant the continual use. did the grain free diet help or make any change. if it did do you have an actual diet with ingredients and schedule we can try. i have read about this yeast candida and wonder if this is possibly the real culprit. samson has taken cephalexin for months at a time until i got so frustrated that i cleansed him of everything trying to start from scratch. i believe they bother me more than him because he doesn't slow down account of them. as i said previously i started him on zinc once a day. his food is purina OM vet diet. ingredient list is mostly grain. his allergy results were about 25 out of the 400 they tested for. with milk rice and carrots being on that list for food and sycamore and bahiagrass. both of which my neighbor has plenty of. my old vet has recommended a stronger antibiotic augmentin but i have not tried as of yet. i cant get a straight answer from any vet as to whether it is caused by a bacterial or fungal infection or otherwise. nobody seems to know. i truly appreciate your help and will keep you posted. thanks roger and samson
    Last edited by samiam12; 12-29-2009 at 07:38 PM.

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Sam, don't think the vets really know for sure. I feed EVO - 3/4 cup 2x day - and that helped cut it down some. I agree Pred is not good long term - I use 1/2 vets dose - for 1/2 time perscribed - just enough to get 'em down. We have tried all and any antibiotics - all of which work well for a period of time, then stop being effective...so, approx 9 months ago, I pulled ALL meds - except heartworm and flee treatments - and only give pred if feet are really really bad (1 or more cysts on 3 or more feet). My vet is young and willing to try anything - and commented on how much happier and younger Morgan seems since stopping all meds. I *think* trial and error is the only approach that works. Sigh!

I would also consider a speciality clinic if the dermatologist can't fix it. There's a good one on Busch Blvd if I remember correctly.