Grain free is it ok for pup
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grain free is it ok for pup

lisa is offline Senior Member

DefaultGrain free is it ok for pup

Lola at 10 weeks old is starting with ear trouble...yeast and bacteria. Hopefully this is a one time problem. I know a lot of people on this board love grain free, is she to young for grain free? My vet was not crazy about the idea..she said sometimes they are allergic to the protein. Any feedback on this is greatly appreciated. I posted in lab chat too>

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

orijen has a puppy formula that is ok for young dogs. most (if not all) of the other grain free adult formulas would NOT be good for a young growing puppy (calcium percentage is one of the issues I believe...)

ETA: did you get her from a breeder who knows their lines? Did the breeder keep a puppy? Did you change the food she was on since she has come to you (are you feeding the same food she had a the breeder or rescue if she was a rescue).
    I would definately get in touch with the breeder if she comes from one to see if this is an issue in any of their other pups and if they have recommendations.
    Last edited by Tanya; 12-22-2009 at 12:37 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

I did get her form a breeder...the same breeder I got Gracie from. I am not sure if she kept a pup. I did switch food. The breeder had them on Wellness puppy, but she was switching them because of diarrhea. I have both dogs on Pinacle chicken and oats...stool has improved somewhat...soft but no diarrhea. I noticed about a week after she came home the scratching started to be noticeable. I am not sure what to do. Should I wait it out and see if the ears improve with washes and drops...and if still a problem then switch food? My biggest fear is that she will have chronic ear trouble like my first lab Casey.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

What was the breeder switching to? Had she started this change before you brought her home? If so, did you continue switching to that food or did you choose the pinacle food yourself?

I wouldn't hurry to grain free or fear allergies right now. the puppy is VERY young and might already have gone thru two food changes, i'd be cautious moving forward.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

I think she was a day or two int the switch..proplan chicken and rice. I did not want to go with this food because I was not crazy about the ingredients. My first lab to well on the pinacle so I went with that. I agree..I really don't want to change foods again. I think I will wait it out and see how she does first and I will contact the breeder to see what she says. Thanks for the response so quick

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I think you've thrown her off kilter with all the messing and changing her foods. She is an infant, and you know what happens with infants when their foods get changed.

I'd decide what you are going to feed and stick to it. Personally, I'd put her back on the Wellness, give it a month or two, and then switch her to adult. There's a reason your breeder was feeding this, it probably works for her dogs.

Going to a new home is very stressful for puppies. I also doubt that you are in the same water source area, meaning you've switched water supply as well. Couple that in with then changing foods and you've probably started something for your puppy's digestive and immune system you want out of.

Put her on something and leave her there for two months. Then worry about it.

Once you get on the food roller coaster, its hard to get off. If you can afford grain free, go with that if it helps you think you are doing what is right for your dog. But stick with it long enough to see if its working.

And bring in a stool sample to the vet, have them look for the common things AND giardia and coccidia.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Wellness is what was giving them diarrhea...the breeder took them off it, she thought it was to rich. Gracie was on Wellness for quite some time to and had very soft stool too. I gradually made the switch from Wellness to Pinacle. The breeder was putting them on proplan chicken and rice..this is not a food I really wanted to use. I am going to leave them on their food for at least 6 months and see what happens. Stool sample negative, but I will bring another back in 4 weeks when she goes back for shots again

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

But had the puppies not been eating the Wellness for 5 weeks before you got her? I don't understand why a breeder would continue feeding something that was giving puppies diarrhea for 5 weeks before taking them off it two days before going home.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    The breeder was putting them on proplan chicken and rice..this is not a food I really wanted to use. I am going to leave them on their food for at least 6 months and see what happens. Stool sample negative, but I will bring another back in 4 weeks when she goes back for shots again
    Why not? Many, many breeders use this food because it works. It's a great food for Labradors and there is a reason it's popular with Lab breeders.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydog2much View Post
    But had the puppies not been eating the Wellness for 5 weeks before you got her? I don't understand why a breeder would continue feeding something that was giving puppies diarrhea for 5 weeks before taking them off it two days before going home.
    This was my understanding, but I could be wrong. I was under the impression that she had just made the switch...but again I may have misunderstood her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast