Kidney problems - interstitial nephritis & glomerular nephritis

Thread: Kidney problems - interstitial nephritis & glomerular nephritis

DefaultKidney problems - interstitial nephritis & glomerular nephritis

My beautiful, very loved, five-year-old black-lab bitch, my best friend, has just been diagnosed with chronic interstitial nephritis & glomerular nephritis, possibly from juvenile natropthy (spelling?).

In English this is inflamed, leaky, kidneys; proteins escape from her blood through her inflamed kidneys which results in very poor protein retention and a seemingly unquenchable thirst.

This is not a new condition for her, she has always been a tiny Labrador and always drank and peed much much more than you average dog, but our vet was not concerned as "some dogs are just like that".

She now has a new vet who had a very different opinion, she has had a number of blood tests and a kidney biopsy to confirm that the dog is ill, not "just like that" at all.

The dog seems to me to be the exact same dog she has always been, I see very little difference in her size, weight or behaviour... but the vet feels that she may only have a year or so left in her, she is five now.

The vet say there is no treatment, that her kidneys are at about 50% capacity, that the condition will get worse and when they get down to 30% it will be time to put her to sleep.

I'd appreciate your comments.

(comments about the condition not the old vet, there is nothing we can do about that now).

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Kidney problems - interstitial nephritis & glomerular nephritis

What a horrible diagnosis! You must be so crushed. Do they have her on a special diet and medications? I know this condition isn't curable but is there anything they can do to help manage it? Both my first and second labs died of chronic kidney disease but they were aged...They were both placed on special diets and did remarkably for years.
    I sincerely wish you the best. I recently lost my heart lab to hemangiosarcoma and after he was diagnosed I made it a point to "live like you were dying" with him. I wish that for you...we had a remarkable 3 months.

So, as I understand it there is no special diet or medications, this is my vet's opinion anyway, I am hoping there is someone who may have other ideas? Someone who knows better or who has seen this before... after all, vets can be wrong....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I am sorry to hear this. I have not dealt with your disease but have dealt with a senior with kidney faillure. Perhaps this will help but check all with your vet.

I fed a low phosphorous food and added "quality" protein (cooked chop meat, eggs, etc. and pasta or rice for balance) along with a phosphorous binder - crushed egg shells - for the additional protein. CoQ10 and EPA/DHA fish oil capsules support the kidneys. You don't want to feed low protein but higher "quality" protein.

It won't reverse the damage to her kidneys but feeding the above is less taxing on the kidneys than feeding a corn or grain based food rather than meat (specific meat) based protein.

There is info here that may help as well www.dogaware.com

As I said it won't reverse the damage but may keep it in check - at least for a while - and give you more time together.

Wishing you all the best. Hang in there. I know how awful it is when one of our babies is diagnosed with a disease.

Ladylab is offline Junior Member

I have just lost my 4 yeas old girl to kidney failure, she was ok then went off her food and was diagnosed with small kidneys that were almost giving up.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Dogs need to mourn as well IMO !

All that you can do is give love and distract them with exercise and play.

So sorry that you have to go through this after her fourth birthday ! Life is so cruel.

If it's any consolation, they are never with us for long enough be it fours years or fourteen.

We have had a lot of sadness on the forum this year ! Just hope that next year is better.