Interceptor vs Heartgard

Thread: Interceptor vs Heartgard

DefaultInterceptor vs Heartgard

So, I have always just used Heartgard - have never had a problem with other kinds of worms with my dogs. Now I have a new puppy and the vet gives me Interceptor instead of Heartgard. I've not had a puppy this young in my adult life, so I am sure some of what I am used to does not apply.

Why would a puppy need this level of preventative against worms? I am not sure I get it or agree and have not yet given him any. I wanted to see if anyone used Interceptor or chose not to and why.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Interceptor vs Heartgard

Interceptor controls round worm, whip worms, hook worms and heartworms
    Heartgard Plus controls round worm, hook worms and heartworms

Both can be started at 8 weeks old. If you don't whip worm problem and want to keep things simple than put him on Heartgard Plus.

I use Iverhart plus with my guys. (generic Heartgard)
    Alicia

I'm not sure, but I do believe most puppies have worms (or at least highly susceptible to getting them) early on, hence the de-worming by breeders before you take the pup home.

I'm like you, I only give the basic Heartgard because we don't have issues with worms. He does get tested at his annual (well, semi-annual now) visits, and it's always negative. I can see why they would prefer something like a "Plus" or Interceptor, but I don't know enough to give an educated opinion on if one is truly better than the other.

If I had to do it all over again, I probably would start out on the Interceptor again like I did with Jes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

He was wormed by his breeder and his fecal at his initial vet visit was negative for worms. I just don't see the point of all this extra medication if this is not necessary. I have never had an adult dog test positive for worms and I just use the regular Heartgard - not the Plus.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Labradors eat anything. Deer poop, rabbit poop, etc. The reason Interceptor is a better choice as it covers more than just Heart Worm.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowco Labradors
    Labradors eat anything. Deer poop, rabbit poop, etc. The reason Interceptor is a better choice as it covers more than just Heart Worm.
    Good in theory, but I've found, at least with my dog, that in practice it's overkill. I don't doubt he's eaten some unsavory items on our walks, yet he's never had worms outside of puppyhood. They're so easy to take care of, and test for that I've decided that less is better and gone with plain old Heartgard. I don't think it's fair to say one is a "better" choice than the other. There are other considerations to make.

Dani is offline Senior Member

I think it's a matter of preference. I love and use interceptor...have for both of my boys. No one is better. It's not a matter of extra medication.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003