advice for remaining lab

Thread: advice for remaining lab

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Defaultadvice for remaining lab

On the weekend I posted in the Rainbow Bridge that we had to put our 13 1/2 yr old lab to sleep. The emerg vet found a tumour in her bladder and nothing could be done for her.

My concern today is for our younger lab 7 yrs old.
    She was always a bit anxious when I went out and left her or if our older dog went out without her.
    Yesterday she seemed ok but today she seems to be more anxious with me going out. We havn't left her alone yet.
    Any advice on how to get through the next while and help her get through this without starting bad habits like howling or chewing?
    Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: advice for remaining lab

I have no advice but I just wanted to say sorry for your loss

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

I made a 'suggestion' in Gypsy's Rainbow Bridge thread....
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hark67 is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry for your loss. :'( No matter how old they are they are NEVER with us long enough and there is never an easy goodbye.

I have never had more than one dog so have never had to deal with a situation like yours. I have heard that getting another dog often helps the remaining dog. Would this be possible? Maybe even just a foster.

Thanks for your thoughts.

We have now had two sets of labs.
    The dog that just died went through a terrible loss when her companion dog died about 7 years ago. That is why we had to get the dog that we now have for her to cope.
    It is our hope now to just have just the one dog. We are going to try to help her get through it. Another dog for this dog I don't think is an option. When she was a young pup, she got scared by a larger dog and now is very
    nervous and anxious around other dogs other than her pal that just died.
    We will take things one day at a time and see how things go.
    Just haven't left her alone yet which has to come soon.
    Thanks again.

Today we went out and put her in her crate.
    She was fine, no whining or anything. The reason we know this is because we video taped her while we were out.

Later on this afternoon, my husband and I went out but our son stayed home.
    She has now started to howl while we were out even though our son was here.
    He said she did this twice. He tried to distract her but she kept it up.

Any suggestions??

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Good luck. I was never able to solve the problem.

My Brownie always lived with other dogs, my other lab Muffin and a Great Dane. They all got along great. When the first lab and the dane passed she developed a terrible separation anxiety problem, howling all day long (if you left her 5 minutes she howled 5 minutes, if you left for 4 hours she howled for 4 hours). Neighbors were killing me. We tried finding her new company but since she was already 12 she didn´t attach to the dog we tried to adopt.

In the end, since she already had very advanced HD, we decided the most humane thing to do was to let her go with her sisters. We tried everything we could imagine, she would only be calm at home with me. It is a sad case, she was a great dog, never met another dog that loved me so much.

If your dog is not too old she might adapt well. Hope she adjusts fine to being a loner

Update -Thanks again for your info and thoughts.

We went out this morning for 90 minutes. We video taped her for 60 minutes.
    She howled the whole time.
    She also shred her favorite towel that has always been in her kennel.

I have found a couple of ideas to try but will welcome any new ones that you might have to offer.

She will now have nothing to shred in her kennel but I heard that if you get a kong filled with yummy stuff and lock the kong in her kennel about 15 minutes before you are going to leave then she will want to be in the kennel to get the kong. Then when you are getting ready to go you let her in the kennel and she gets to have the kong.

Another idea is to put her in the kennel throughout the day and get her used to being in it and I go in and out for just a few minutes at a time and don't let her out right away and then she gets used to this in and out not being a big deal anymore.

Any other thoughts??Thanks