Updated! Cole is scheduled for stomach surgery tomorrow.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updated! Cole is scheduled for stomach surgery tomorrow.

SweetRuiN is offline Member

DefaultUpdated! Cole is scheduled for stomach surgery tomorrow.

Last week, Cole (our 6yo male Lab) vomited twice in the night, and then a few times over the next two days. I called the Vet and he wanted us to come in on Friday. By then, he'd still been having a few episodes of vomiting, but just bile and the usual stuff coming up. Normal stools, but Friday morning he seemed hesitant to eat.

At that appointment, the Vet took an X-ray and didn't see a blockage or any metallic foreign objects, so he gave us anti-vomiting medicine and told us to watch him over the weekend.

He started refusing food (but not water) on Saturday, and we had to encourage him to eat. We took him in this morning, and the Vet ran barium x-rays all afternoon.

By 3pm, he had finished the x-rays and said that he believes there's a blockage between Cole's stomach and intestines, because the barium was draining slower out of the stomach than it should have. This would explain why he keeps seeming to 'burp' (for lack of a better description) water here and there.

I'm worried absolutely sick, probably because I don't really trust this Vet. We've only lived here and been seeing him for about a year now, and for nothing like this. His decision to open Cole up is based so much on speculation, and I don't have time to get a second opinion.

I feel bad asking for prayers, good wishes, good mojo, etc for a pet...but I'm worried sick about him.

He's my good boy, my best friend. I love him so much, and losing him is just inconceivable. I know you guys understand that our pets are family.

I just really, really could use some good vibes right now. If you can't/won't pray for a dog, please consider doing so for me, because I cannot handle losing him right now. Hell, my nerves are shot as it is. =(

Thank you, so much, for any advice or anything.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Advice, please? Cole is scheduled for stomach surgery tomorrow.

All his symptoms would point me to an obstruction too, but I'm not a vet.

He needs to be treated, surgically if your vet thinks so, and quickly, or he could die. Get that 2nd opinion soon.

Lots of prayers for you and cole.

Callaway is offline Senior Member

Never feel bad asking for prayers! Im sure we all feel the same way as you! Prayers on the way for you and Cole! Please keep us posted!

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

good thoughts for Cole...please keep us posted

You got it! Is he out of surgey now?

hark67 is offline Senior Member

I am just reading this now. I sure how all is well with Cole tonight. Having had a dog that went through 5 bowel surgeries I can sympathize with you.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

One of the things this forum excels at is offering good thoughts and prayers for our beloved labs.

Hope Cole comes through OK and they find whatever's troubling him!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Prayers headed your way. Please update when you can.

SweetRuiN is offline Member

Hello everyone! I wanted to finally get an update posted, since we just got home from the Vet's.

Cole's surgery went very well, and he did have a blockage...aka, the missing rope toy! Of all things. Sheesh, I -never- would have thought he'd eat a rope toy, knot and all!

The Vet said his stomach is unharmed, but there's three places where his intestine needs to heal. He gave us bland dog food, some antibiotics, and antacids for Cole, and he seems confident he'll make a full recovery.

I cannot tell you how relieved I am, though I wish I knew 100% that he'd be ok. We need to give him 2wks of very calm time, and I'm not sure how to do that without sedating the poor thing, lol. Tonight he's very much glad to rest, though, but he seems uncomfortable from his incision.

Thank you so much for keeping in your prayers! I am so very, very glad he's home and he should be just fine, thank god!

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Updated! Cole is scheduled for stomach surgery tomorrow.

glad to hear all went well

he'll be fine ... but I'll keep the thoughts and prayers coming your way!
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast