Looking for a new dog food to try, Any good ones?

View Poll Results: Need advice on a good dog food

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Top Rated Dog Foods

1 50.00%
  • Dog Foods

1 50.00%

Thread: Looking for a new dog food to try, Any good ones?

LoriT is offline Junior Member

DefaultLooking for a new dog food to try, Any good ones?

Hi Everyone,
    Its been awhile since I last posted. I lost Doc alittle over 2 years ago! God bless my Doc! I Miss him! We've added to our family a beautiful choc lab boy named MAC!!!!!! Big MAC! I'm looking for a reputable, good food to switch him to. What to keep him fit and strong! Any comments or suggestions are very welcomed. Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablover88 is offline Member

DefaultRe: Looking for a new dog food to try, Any good ones?

Sorry to hear about Doc. My mom just lost her Golden in July and missed him terribly, but said she'd never get another big dog. Guess what....she brought a golden puppy home yesterday!

I started my lab on Nutro when he was a puppy and just recently switched him to Diamond Naturals. I am getting a chocoloate pup in March and I plan on feeding him Diamond Naturals large breed puppy chicken and rice.

I spent a lot of time searching on the internet and looking at all the past threads on what food is good. It seems like people have good things to say about Diamond Naturals. I also see a lot of good comments about California Naturals (I believe that's what it's called--California something). Hope that helps!

Before switching to a raw diet for Piper, she was on Taste of the Wild. It's one of the newer grain-free kibbles and was priced more moderately than comparable foods.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Grain free food works well for my dogs. But, most grain free foods are too hi in calcium for growing pups. Not sure how old Mac is.

Orijen LB puppy is the only grain free on the market with proper calcium (that I know of).

Innova is a good choice for a growing pup and than you switch to their grain free EVO at one year of age if you want. Or another grain free brand.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Among moderately priced foods, look at the Diamond Natural foods for Large Breed puppies as well as those at Costco (their Kirkland lable).

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

My adult dog is on Wellness CORE, a grain free food and has done well on it for about 18 months now. Not an ear infection in all that time.

Hey There

We have our dogs - a German Shepard Dog and a Yellow Lab on Innova Large Breeb Adult and previously on the Large Breed Puppy and would recommend it to anyone. After having a Shepard/Lab cross with ACL problems - as in both rear leg surgery -I wish someone had told me about this food. Check it out!!!!!!

Theresa Jake and Rex's Mum

Dani is offline Senior Member

why are you switching your dog now? What is it currently on? If the dog is not experiencing any issues, then don't put the dog through a food rollercoaster because you think you need to switch. Not all foods work the same for dogs. If it ain't broke, then don't fix it.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

subguy812 is offline Junior Member

My dog started on Wellness Large Breed but it was like 50.00+ per bag, so when the vet told me to transition off to adult kibble at 8 months I was looking for a decent economical adult food. I have him on Diamond Naturals 60+ it is 30.00 for 40 lbs. And I have have good luck with it. The protein in the Wellness was causing his bones to grow so fast and he was having pain in his front legs. Now all is well, I follow the recommended amount to feed and he appears to like it. I don't have a Costco card but have also heard good things about the Kirkland.