Yellow Poop

Thread: Yellow Poop

lablover88 is offline Member

DefaultYellow Poop

Me again! Bailey is still having problems with his stools. I took him to the vet last weekend and he I was told he has clostridium. I didn't know what to ask when I was there, but after researching this diagosis, I am under the impression that a special test needs to be done to determine whether there's an excess of toxins caused by the clostridium. I believe the vet did a simple fecal, so I'm not sure if this is an accurate diagnosis.

On to my question, Bailey has had loose stools off and on for about 3 weeks. They are mustard colored........is that bad? I was feeding him Nutro. He started having this problem. So, I decided to switch his food to Diamond Naturals. I begin the transition. His stools continued to be loose, sometimes he even had diarrhea. So, I begin feeding him rice. Still no better. So, I took him to the vet and got the above mentioned diagnosis. Now, he's on boiled hamburger and rice, probiotics twice per day, and metronidazole twice per day. His stools are still loose and yelloow and he's been on this regimen since last Sunday. I tried to switch him back to the Diamond Naturals mid-week and it seemed to make his stools more loose. So, I'm stuck......I can't keep feeding him the hamburger and rice, which doesn't seem to be helping the consistency of his stools or the bright yellow color!

Someone in a past thread suggested adding psyllium husks to food as a source of fiber. Anyone know anything about this? Where can I get it? Does it work?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. J

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jade63 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Yellow Poop

I just posted on LabChat ..I am having the exact same problem. could this be a virus alot of dogs are getting? I also feed Nutro Chciken rice and oatmeal...MMMMMMMMMMMMM hope there is not a contamination here!!!

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Did either of your vets prescribe antibiotics? I have no experience with this but found these links.

http://my-pet-medicine.com/2007/09/2...m-perfringens/

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...=1&SourceID=42

Hoping you can both get this cleared up and your dogs are back on the road to good health.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jade63 is offline Senior Member

No , mine just gave her ProPectalin and a bland diet..so far she is a bit better..but the last dose of meds was last night..so we shall see if the runs come back, then back to the vet!!!

I haven't tried this, but I read somewhere that canned pumpkin will help with loose stools for dogs. Not pie filling with other ingredients, just plain canned pumpkin.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Yes, canned pumpkin will help with loose stools. It also helps with constipation.

However, it is not a good idea to give this in a case where something has been diagnosed like the Clostridium or coccidia or giardia.

IMO I would rather let the loose stools rid the body of the parasite/bacteria (along with meds).

To the OP. did you vet send the stool sample out for specific testing or do an in house fecal?

"Since the bacterium exists naturally in the digestive tract, a simple fecal test that detects the presence of C. perfringens is usually not sufficient to confirm the diagnosis; the fecal sample has to be tested for excessive toxin or other signs of infection. These tests are more expensive, and samples usually have to be sent to a reference lab to be tested"

If done by the lab, and your vet gave you metronidizole, it is one of the antibiotics mentioned in the first link for treatment of Clostridium. Hopefully that will do the trick.

If this was done in house I would take a sample to a different vet to be sent out for a second opinion.

skippin is offline Member

You should get a second test/opinion to confirm diagnosis. Most of these products are used for occasional stomach upset, not bacteria/virus/parasites. Pumpkin is great, and so is psyllium. If you use psyllium, make sure your dog drinks plenty of water. It works by turning into a kind of jelly substance that basically moves everything through the system. Use it for no more than 4-6 days a month though, as you can also rid the system of good bacteria by overuse. I have a lot of experience with this product with horses, (to avoid sand colic) and have used it a few times with my dogs (my female thinks small smooth pebbles are treats) and it seems to help. But as was said before, let the body rid itself of bacteria first, and talk to your vet. Maybe there is another problem that wasn't apparent before. Hope your boy feels better soon!