Daisy eats too fast!

Thread: Daisy eats too fast!

Daisy's Dad is offline Junior Member

DefaultDaisy eats too fast!

Ok, so this morning was the last straw....after Daisy gulped down her breakfast and drank a ton of water, she then proceeded to throw it up (on my new runner, of course....). Has anyone ever used one of those bowls that I've seen on websites that won't allow dogs to eat so fast?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Daisy eats too fast!

Yikes. Gulping food and then drinking a ton of water can easily cause bloat. You don't want that to happen. :no:

I have 2 fast eaters. I put a nylabone in Frankie's dish now and it has helped tremendously. With Macy, I use a hollowed out marrow bone. The kibble gets inside of the bone so she really has to work to get it out. With all 3 of my dogs, I sprinkle a bit of water on the food to prevent bloat.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

For fast eaters I've read to spread their kibble out on a cookie sheet. I have seen the bowl you refer to but I have no personal experience with it. It couldn't hurt to try. Good luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Daisy's Dad is offline Junior Member

Thanks for all your suggestions....I've put bones, rocks, all kinds of stuff in her bowl to slow her down....but she just picks them out of the bowl and lays them to the side while she finishes gulping. I think I like the looks of a bowl called the Brake-Fast.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Daisys Dad
    she just picks them out of the bowl and lays them to the side while she finishes gulping
    You have a very smart girl there. I hope the bowl works for her.

Try the cookie sheet and don't let her drink water for at least a half hour after she has eaten.

BlackLabJax is offline Senior Member

The bowl is called the Break Fast Bowl. I have one for Jax. It has definitely slowed down his eating.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLabJax
    The bowl is called the Break Fast Bowl. I have one for Jax. It has definitely slowed down his eating.
    A bundt style cake pan will do the same thing. Besides a cookie sheet to spread the food out, you can just scatter it across the floor (assuming it's dry kibble, not canned). Caleb's food lays in a single layer in his dish (it's 9 inches wide), and that slows him down.