Anyone have any experience with reflux?

Thread: Anyone have any experience with reflux?

DefaultAnyone have any experience with reflux?

I personally had GERD from a kid through my late-teens/early-20s, but I don't require medication any more - I just avoid some foods. I'm afraid Jes has it. He'll be seen by his vet Friday, but I'm just trying to bounce some ideas off of people in case it is something else.

Since a pup, he will occasionally salivate heavily following a meal (90% of the time it is dinner). This happens maybe once a month - sometimes two. The first time he did it I called the e-vet (happened after hours), but they said if it didn't stop within an hour or two, or got to where he had streams of drool coming out to bring him in. It normally stops within 45 min - 1 hour after starting, and he just constantly licks his "chops." It's not a solid stream, but you can tell he is excessively salivating.

Symptom 2. He also occasionally vomits in the middle of the night - typically bile. This happens only a few times a year.

Yesterday, put the two symptoms together, only more severe (and giving me a mild heart attack). We were playing fetch, and I could tell he was getting tired so I stopped and we were going to go for the cool-down walk. He acted like he needed to have a bowel movement, and he hunched over, but whimpered and nothing came out. I really thought he was bloating and was trying to figure out how fast I could carry him back home. I felt his stomach and he didn't flinch, didn't whine, and it wasn't distended. We still headed straight back, but I let him walk. Mid-way back, he threw up. After that he acted just fine. He desperately wanted to eat, but he was salivating like he does after some meals, so I withheld it for the night. This morning, he's fine. No drooling, wanted to run around and play, 100% normal.

Other than the period right before he vomited, he's acted normally. I called the vet this morning, and he thinks it could be reflux as well, but obviously wants to examine him. Any thoughts?

*Edit to add:
    One other possibly important tidbit - he has a very sensitive stomach. Any abrupt changes in diet will cause vomiting and diarrhea. I do rotate between two foods, and over time I've learned to stretch the transition over 10 days to avoid any stomach discontent.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Anyone have any experience with reflux?

Wondering if adding a probiotic to his diet would help. Also, I know a lot of people use people probiotics, but one my vets explained to me that they are not the same as the ones made for dogs. The dog ones have Enterococcus faecium, which most of the humans do not have.

That sounds like a good idea. I don't know if I should start anything now, or wait until the vet sees him, what do you think? I guess there's no harm in starting them now, even if it isn't reflux that's causing the problem.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I dunno. Derby was urpy for the longest time. Always look like he was having kind of reflux-type symptoms, especially when getting up from a lying down position. They seemed to have gone away with a food change.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Do you have a cell phone that can take videos? That might be helpful to catch some of the episodes as you see them.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    Do you have a cell phone that can take videos? That might be helpful to catch some of the episodes as you see them.
    I think it takes videos, I know my camera does. If/When it happens again I'll record it in case it does help the vet.