Back-to-back heat cycle?

Thread: Back-to-back heat cycle?

DefaultBack-to-back heat cycle?

Abbey just turned 1 year earlier this month. Her first heat cycle was at the end of October, it lasted the full 4wks. I had just noticed she'd been a little swollen these last few days and used a tissue to wipe her 2 days ago, nothing. But, today she's spotting red. It's only been 3 mths since her last heat, is this normal? I was expecting every 6mths or so. Could it be because she's still young and her hormones are just working themselves out?

Man oh man! I'm not in the mood to do this again so soon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

krisinme is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Back-to-back heat cycle?

Lisa,
    From what you wrote, I have two questions.
    What color is the blood and thickness?
    Does it smell?
    A pyo is an infection that can occur during or after a heat cycle or pregnancy. The signs of this are temperature, Campbells tomato soup looking discharge, and a retched smell. If any of these are occuring go to the vet right away!!! This infection can kill in a short ammt of time.
    Otherwise maybe she is spotting? Has had a split cycle? or has come in early?
    Call her breeder and find out what the mother's cycle was like. If it makes you feel better take her for a pelvic. Also Document the heat cycles. It is important that you wait about a month after a cycle before having a girl spayed. Before that things are still swollen. If you are planning on leaving her intact lets hope she isn't a 4 month cycler. I have a girl that gets shorter and shorter. Her last cycle was 4 months. It stinks when you are not planning on breeding that cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by krisinme
    Lisa,
    From what you wrote, I have two questions.
    What color is the blood and thickness?
    Does it smell?
    A pyo is an infection that can occur during or after a heat cycle or pregnancy. The signs of this are temperature, Campbells tomato soup looking discharge, and a retched smell. If any of these are occuring go to the vet right away!!! This infection can kill in a short ammt of time.
    Otherwise maybe she is spotting? Has had a split cycle? or has come in early?
    Call her breeder and find out what the mother's cycle was like. If it makes you feel better take her for a pelvic. Also Document the heat cycles. It is important that you wait about a month after a cycle before having a girl spayed. Before that things are still swollen. If you are planning on leaving her intact lets hope she isn't a 4 month cycler. I have a girl that gets shorter and shorter. Her last cycle was 4 months. It stinks when you are not planning on breeding that cycle.
    Her discharge is normal, thin and red. The drip has started, so it seems this is a new heat cycle all over again. Perhaps she never ovulated during her last heat cycle? She's peeing a lot more, and she seems somewhat flustered and whiny. I'm going to email her breeder like you suggested, I'm really hoping she's not a frequent cycler! Thank you so much for your advice and reply.
    ~~Lisa

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

When do you plan on having her spayed? Macy went into heat the day before she was to be spayed. Just my luck. My vet wouldn't spay until 4 months after her cycle, so that everything could go back to normal. I would have freaked if she went into heat again!! Had her spayed on 01/22.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

If she is peeing more frequently and she seems in pain I would think there is something else amiss. UTI, bladder infection OR even the start of Pyo.
    Often Pyo goes unnoticed until it is at a dangerous level. I watched last month while a Rottie was being carried into the vet clinic and dying because the owners waited too long.
    Kim

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

If she had not had a normal 4 week cycle in Oct. I would say she is having a split heat. But I don't see that as the case. However, if there was very little bleeding during that 4 weeks or bleeding only lasted a few days to a week than this could be a split heat.

The peeing a lot more could be a sign of a UTI. Is she drinking excessively?

I would take a urine sample to the vet and have them check her out to be safe.

Collect the urine first thing in the a.m. before food or water and in mid stream.