I thought I could figure this out on my own.......another food question.........

Thread: I thought I could figure this out on my own.......another food question.........

lablover88 is offline Member

DefaultI thought I could figure this out on my own.......another food question.........

I currently have a 5 year old yellow who has been fed Nutro all his life. I will be getting a chocolate puppy in March. I am considering changing my older yellow's food for various reasons, including his soft stools/diarrhea, eating other dogs poop (is he hungry or what???), and the breeder who I'm getting the puppy from feeds Diamond. So, I am trying to figure out what food will be good for both of them. I am debating between Diamond and Blue Buffalo. How do I know what is best? What should I be looking for in the ingredients? Also, how do I ween Bailey onto a new kind of food (what's the appropriate feeding schedule)?

Here are the choices I've given myself (I listed the ingredients):

Diamond Premium Adult Dog Formula: Chicken by-product meal, whole grain ground corn, wheat flour, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), brewers rice, beet pulp (sugar removed), fish meal, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, brewers dried yeast. Vitamin

Diamond Lamb & Rice: Lamb meal, brewers rice, whole grain brown rice, rice flour, turkey by-product meal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), beet pulp (sugar removed), fish meal, flaxseed, egg product, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast. Vitamins, minerals: potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione dimethylpyrimidinol bisulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Diamond Maintenance Formula: Whole grain ground corn, chicken by-product meal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), beet pulp (sugar removed), corn gluten meal, wheat flour, meat meal, flaxseed, egg product, natural chicken flavor, brewers dried yeast. Vit..

Blue Buffalo Chicken and Brown Rice Adult: Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Rye , Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Potato Flour, Tomato Pomace, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Ground Flax Seed, Alfalfa, Herring Oil, Sea Salt,

Blue Buffalo Lamb & Brown Rice Adult: Deboned Lamb, Lamb Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Rye, Potato Flour, Tomato Pomace, Rice Protein Concentrate, Alfalfa, Sunflower Oil (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Ground Flax

Blue Buffalo Large Breed Adult: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Potato Flour, Tomato Pomace, Chicken Fat (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Whole Carrots, Ground Flaxseed, Alfalfa Meal,

Any insight into the world of dog food would be greatly appreciated. I know there are tons of posts on the subject, but I didn't see any posts about Diamond since 2006, so I thought I'd update the threads! Thanks for the help. JLR

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I thought I could figure this out on my own.......another food question.........

I started Puff on Nutro Large Breed Puppy food for her first year and then switched to Costco's Kirkland C&R. Kirkland C&R is fairly similar in formula to Diamond Naturals (not to plain Diamond which has corn and wheat in it).

As far as switching your older Lab, look for kcals/cup for the Nutro you're now using and the same figure for the new food. Compute how much of the new to use to match the same total daily kcals your Lab is eating of the Nutro. If the bag doesn't give the kcal figure, call the food's 800/888 customer service number and ask them.

Many people switch older dogs all at once; for younger Labs (less than a year old) or for dogs you're concerned about, the usual rule is to make the switch over 9 days -- three days of 1 part new to 3 parts old; 3 days half and half; 3 days of 3 parts new to 1 part old; then continue with all new.

I suggest you feed the puppy the food that your breeder recommends at least for the first year.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

DefaultRe: I thought I could figure this out on my own.......another food question.........

Good info. Of course, Nutro doesn't list the k/cal on the bag or the website. I'll have to call.

Right now, I'm leaning toward the Diamond Natural Chicken and Rice Adult Formula: Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, white rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, beet pulp, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

My only concern is that chicken, as opposed to chicken meal, is the first ingredient listed. Is this bad? I as under the impression that ____ meal should be the first ingredient.

Also, how do I choose between chicken and lamb as the meat source. Is one better than the other?

THANK YOU!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

The chicken first doesn't bother me because the second ingredient is the chicken meal; they're listed in order of weight so, since the chicken has a lot of water, there's probably more protein coming from the chicken meal than the chicken.

Re: Lamb vs. Chicken, I chose chicken because there was so much rice in Costco's Kirkland L&R formula. Since the same company makes both the Diamond Naturals and Costco's Kirkland L&R, C&R, and since the formulas are SOMEWHAT similar, you may want to compare the DN's other ingredients.

For example, here are the formulas for the Kirkland C&R, L&R:

Kirkland Signature - Chicken, Rice & Vegetables Formula

Ingredients: Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and Vitamin E), egg product, beet pulp, potatoes, fishmeal, flaxseed, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, millet, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Guaranteed Analysis
    Protein: 26%
    Fat: 16%
    Fiber: 4%
    Moisture: 10%

Calorie Content: 3,754 kcal/kg (393 kcals/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

and the Kirkland L&R (Below is from what's listed on an old bag; it may have changed since then)

Kirkland Signature - Adult Lamb & Brown Rice Formula

Ingredients: Lamb, lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, rice flour, white rice, egg product, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and Vitamin E), beet pulp, potatoes, fishmeal, flaxseed, natural flavor, millet, brewers dried yeast, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chickory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, taurine, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Guaranteed Analysis
    Protein: 23%
    Fat: 14%
    Fiber: 4%
    Moisture: 10%

Kcals -- don't have a bag to see; was about 362 kcals/cup
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Makes sense. Thanks!

You need to have the puppy on puppy food. Kirkland (also made by Diamond) has a puppy food that I've been told HERE that is suitable for labs. You might try that for the new chocolate puppy and try switching your older pup to the Kirkland Chicken. Or if no Costco, both on a Diamond brand for now, since that is what the breeder has their puppies on.