Honcho got attacked by another dog
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honcho got attacked by another dog

DefaultHoncho got attacked by another dog

I have a question about my lab Honcho. He was attacked by another dog on our run today. Honcho runs next to me while I ride my bike. He is on an e-collar and responds well and is under control while we are out.

The dog that attacked Honcho has attacked him before. Like the first time it was unprovoked and Honcho tried to get away from the dog by backing up and going away from him, but was like today chased down. Today poor Honcho was pinned down in the ditch and the other dog bit him hard on the back. And today the other dog drew blood. So my poor guy has two puncture wounds to his back and is now going to be on antibiotics and pain meds for the next week.

Obviously I don't want this to ever happen again, so I wonder what I'm doing wrong... Our training has always focused on Honcho sitting to let other dogs, cars, runners pass by. The dogs are the only problem I have getting him to sit still.
    My question is - is there something Honcho does to provoke this? Other dogs seem to favor him as a target too. Honcho is not a dominant dog, and after all this is getting timid and will try to run away from certain dogs rather than sitting next to me and letting them pass.
    What can I do differently to make him stay with me? Or am I completely lost by thinking these dogs will not attack if he is right next to me? is the running away from the other dog what sets them off?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablover88 is offline Member

DefaultRe: Honcho got attacked by another dog

Unfortunately, I don't know the answers to your questions. But, I do sympathize with your problem. My boy, Bailey, has the same problem. Dogs do not like him. He is very much a loner. He generally carries his ball in his mouth on walks and could care less about the presence of other dogs. However, other dogs are always very interested in him and they generally aren't kind. It doesnt look to me like Bailey is doing anything to provoke the dogs. I feel like I'm watching real people.....Bailey is the nerd on the playground and the mean dogs are the bullies who pick on the nerd....sad! I don't know what to do about it either. :'(

Having your dog sit next to you is not going to dissuade another dog from starting a fight with him. And - him running away is probably just making things worse. His attacker's prey drive is more excited by a fleeing animal.

Some dogs pick on dogs with floppy ears as they are not as able to interpret their body language. Watch a dog with pointy ears and see how much they use them - they communicate to other dogs in that manner (of course your dog does the same - but floppy ears are harder to read). How well was your dog socialized with other dogs? It could be that he sends out some sort of vibe that is provoking other dogs - or that you have just had really bad luck and run into very territorial dogs.

I would avoid the area where this has happened. I would have my dog leashed to me to prevent him running off. And - if you have no choice but to exercise him in an area where other dogs might potentially attack him, I would get some sort of deterrent you can spray at the attacking dog before things get out of hand.

Have you confronted the owner of this dog that has jumped yours twice? He should not be free to go after passersby.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for your response. I will have to watch Honcho closely with his ears. The only vibe I can think of would be that he is just scared. There are a couple of dogs in our neighborhood that do not like him and will go after him no matter what he does. I can think of a couple of times where they have come up from behind on him and he hasn't done anything to provoke the attack. I would assume these dogs are pretty territorial.

As for the dog that actually hurt Honcho last week, the owner of the dog paid the vet bill and was very upset about the whole incident. I did tell her that I would not take this further if she promised to keep her dog on a leash at all times. I will report her dog if I see it without a leash.
    Honcho has been socialized with other dogs. He seems to do best with labs. He is timid around other dogs and submits right away.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

If you have ongoing trouble with loose dogs (not just this past one, that is) acting aggressively towards your dog, then I would have Animal Control on speed dial. (Assuming you are obeying the leash law as well)

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Was your dog on a leash when this happened?

Honcho is on an e-collar when I take him out.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

An e-collar is no subsitute for a leash.

If your dog had been on a leash and not an e-collar you would have been in better physical control of the situation. Had he been leashed, he would not have been able to run and therefore get pinned down by the other dog. This also potentially puts him in danger of getting hit by a car.

So, I suggest you ditch the e-collar and use a leash. If it happens again, get between you and your dog and really yell at the other dog, then report them to animal control.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    An e-collar is no subsitute for a leash.

If your dog had been on a leash and not an e-collar you would have been in better physical control of the situation. Had he been leashed, he would not have been able to run and therefore get pinned down by the other dog. This also potentially puts him in danger of getting hit by a car.

So, I suggest you ditch the e-collar and use a leash. If it happens again, get between you and your dog and really yell at the other dog, then report them to animal control.
    +1 - this is not an appropriate usage of an e-collar anyway.

Have you considered that the use of an e-collar (punishment coming in a disembodied form) might contribute to your dog's softness and submission? Just some food for thought.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure anyone could be that dexterous to safely ride a bicycle, keep an eye on their dog, AND operate a remote control without falling off their bike, but then again, I have difficulty walking and talking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast