Please help, my lab is constipated
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help, my lab is constipated

DefaultPlease help, my lab is constipated

We switched our lab's food about a month ago from purina one to purina dog chow. we noticed he was throwing it up a couple of weeks ago and thought it was due to overeating too fast. we took him to the vet after several tries to slow his eating and xrays showed he was blocked up with food from his rectum to his stomach. it wasn't digesting. the vet gave him some anti vomiting pills that didn't work for him. we were sent to an internal medicine vet for an ultrasound. that showed no obvious obstruction. blood work all came back normal with no disease. we went to our previous vet for an enema. little bits of feces did come out, but they were really small. he didn't get the diarrhea that was expected from the enema last night. the vet did say that constipation could cause vomiting. our lab vomited last night for a while and then was able to keep down water for the rest of the night. this morning i gave him an antacid (recommended by the vet) and he kept that down, some food, and his water. he still has yet to pass a bowel movement. i wonder if we should to the recommeded endoscopy (a PRICEY procedure.. we've already spent $800 we don't have).. or if it is safe to wait a bit longer to see if he can pass his stool on his own. anyone ever deal with this? any suggestions? our lab is only four and was fine before we started feeding him the cheaper brand of food.. please help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Please help, my lab is constipated

The vet did not recommend or prescribe a stool softener? Did he try a suppository? I am shocked that the enema did not work.

You are not still feeding him are you? He should be on liquids only - I would try warm chicken broth.

The really sounds like an emergency to me.

Anyone else know - would prune juice be OK for this dog? I don't think plums are hazardous for dogs.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

constipation will cause vomiting when there is a blockage and there is no where else to go! If its not coming out the rear and nothing is staying down I would get to the Vet. ASAP!
    Kim

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Don't let finances hold you back. There is always CARE CREDIT

Quote Originally Posted by cinderbaylabs
    constipation will cause vomiting when there is a blockage and there is no where else to go! If its not coming out the rear and nothing is staying down I would get to the Vet. ASAP!
    Agree with this 100%.

the solid food that i do have, that i've been feeding my lab in small amounts is prescribed from our vet. it's called ID (i think?) it's supposedly highly digestible. He has been good about keeping his food down with an antacid today and has been fed tiny bits at a time.. so far, so good.. my husband even reported a tiny bowel movement. i think any news is good news... but i hope that this progresses.

just a side note: he was able to pass a bowel movement prior to his first xray visit and medications they put him on. this constipation seems to be a result of medications and stimulus that they have been testing him with. we only iniitially took him to the vet due to his vomiting and not keeping his food down.. which we later realized was due to be overly full.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Why did you switch foods in the first place?

After reading your side note, does your vet realize this? He should be taken off the meds (talk to the vet first, obviously!!) and whatever the stimulus thing is, and I would put him back on the Purina One. If he's eating too fast (as alot of our labs do), you can put something in his bowl that he has to eat around. I use a nylabone for Frankie and an empty marrow bone for Macy. I like the marrow bone because the kibble ends up inside of it and they have to work for it. Also, toss a bit of water over the food just to moisten it. Eating too fast can also cause bloat!

Good luck, please keep us posted!!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

thanks vicki.. that's a great idea to use a bone in his bowl. we did try to do that with a coffee mug for a while.. haha... but the reason we switched was to try to save a few pennies. times are tight and we figured that switching from one purina brand to another wouldn't be so bad. we were wrong. saving a few bucks really hurt us in the end...

my husband said he seems to be perkier now and is keeping his food down. going to stick with the digestive food for a bit longer, maybe mix in his old purina one and get him back on track. the purina dog chow has long since been thrown in the garbage!

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Purina Dog Chow isn't known to be one of the better foods, but it certainly works for alot of dogs. If it works, great! If not, as in your case, get rid of it. Frankie and Macy were inhalers with their food, and the bones did the trick!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

I have put two tablespoons olive oil and some orange juice on Cinder's food to help her go, I think it's when she was plugged up from eating the wood in the chiminea. It was after she went to the vet to rule out a blockage. So as long as the vet says there is no blockage you can try that. It didn't give her the runs, just softened everything up so she could go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast