Weird eye thing going on.

Thread: Weird eye thing going on.

TwoLabs is offline Member

DefaultWeird eye thing going on.

Clancy has always had slightly weepy eyes. Lately, I noticed that every once in a while one eye, and only that eye, gets kind of puffy looking, weepy and he squints. By the next morning it looks perfectly normal. This has been happening off and on for 2 weeks. At first I thought maybe the cat scratched it while they were rough housing, but now I don't think so. I'm not sure there is any point in going to the vet as I never know when its going to happen and it only lasts a few hours (I'd have to have an appointment) and mostly later in the evening when she is closed anyway.

I did go out and buy Polysporin antibiotic eye drops and am going to treat him for a week to see if that takes care of it. (He's much more cooperative about the drops than my horse when he had a similar problem! ) Has anybody had a similar problem with their Lab? Any ideas of what else to do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Weird eye thing going on.

Ah! Do NOT use human eye drops on dogs! BIG no no. :no:

I would go to the vet and describe what you're seeing, they can check for an infection or corneal scratch/ulcer at that time.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Why not? My vet said most simple medications are transferable as long as you take into consideration the weight difference.

These are NOT red eye drops, which I know are a no no, but simply antibiotic drops which I have been given the okay to use on other animals by a vet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

I have been dealing with sick animals for many years and have dealt with MANY different animals including hundreds of dogs ...
    yet faced with what you describe I would AT THE LEAST check with my vet to see what she recommended. In all likelihood I would book a visit and get a stain and careful check over. You may choose not to do so but if you don't go to the vet the most I could suggest is gentle plain water cleaning of the eye. It could be a symptom of a serious underlying problem just raising it's head now- early and proactive treatment could save you hundreds of dollars in the long run.

Vets went to school a long time, paid a great deal of money, and have resources we don't to be able to determine the BEST course of action for a particular problem in an individual animal.

Three weeks ago I had three different animals on antibiotic eye drops - each was on a different medication with a different treatment schedule as each had individual and varied problems. (even tho each presented as "eye infection")

I don't use human medications ever without a vets recommendation and I don't use one animals meds on another without the same recommendation.

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TwoLabs
    Why not? My vet said most simple medications are transferable as long as you take into consideration the weight difference.
    Because human and dog eyes are very different in terms of their chemical and physiological make up, and there's a very good chance that you could do a lot of damage. Eyes are not something to be messed around with because it *might* be OK, or will *probably* be OK. If it's not the animal could lose sight or worse, and to me, that's not worth saving a few bucks. Better safe than sorry, let your vet do their job.

Your dog doesn't have to be presenting with a problem in order for a vet to diagnose and provide treatment.

Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

There is also the possibility that Clancy could have glaucoma in that eye so be sure to get his eye pressures checked - sooner rather than later - .

Glaucoma in dogs is very painful and damaging to the eyesight in that eye.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

Good points. This why I asked you guys! Thanks!

let us know how it goes...

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

One reason for NOT using eyedrops meant for humans on dogs is because there are likely pH differences in the eyes of the 2 species just as there is for skin.

Human skin is about 150 times more acid than dog skin so using a shampoo designed for humans (even a baby shampoo) on dogs causes skin irritation.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748