Ear Infection for 5 years

Thread: Ear Infection for 5 years

DefaultEar Infection for 5 years

My 6-year old lab has had chronic ear infections for 5 years. If she goes on antibiotics, it will go away until she's off the anti-b's. We've tried diet changes, BARF diet, cleaners, etc. Nothing works.

My vet is stumped.

Please help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Ear Infection for 5 years

Have you checked her thyroid?

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I switched my guy to raw and that cleared up his chronically problematic ears. BUT, I had to cut out ALL carbs, so went prey-model instead of BARF. I started with BARF for about a month, but his ears were still bad, so I went totally carb-free and that kicked it for good.

That's what worked for us, hope you can find something that fixes it for her!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kiddsmom
    Have you checked her thyroid?
    I second this. Check thyroid and also check for other autoimmune related illness. The ear infections could just be a secondary problem to something bigger.
    Kim

I had this problem with Tucker...the vet put him on Royal Canin Duck and Potato food and his ear infections pretty much cleared up...he ONLY eats Duck and Potato and Hypoallergenic dog treats (also from the vet)...a bit more expensive, but nothing compared to what I was paying in vet bills and medication!

amazongold is offline Senior Member

What do you feed? Try going wheat- and corn-free. Make sure you read EVERY label before buying anything, especially treats. Many dogs are sensitive to wheat and/or corn and it causes gunky ears and sometimes itchy feet.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

when we adopted Jed, he was 8, and had had chronic ear infections for a very long time.
    despite several professional cleanings under anesthesia, pockets had formed thruout his ear canals that always harbored bacteria waiting to go into overgrowth mode. once or twice he even had what appeared to be seizures as a result of flare-ups.
    i faithfully used vet-provided earwashes, drying well afterwards with napkins [softer than paper towels!], and before washing, smelled his ears every day--i could tell by the 'yeasty-er' odor if things were not going well.
    one thing that helped some [and is done routinely with some breeds that are prone to ear infections, like bichons] is to try and keep the ear openings free of most hair...this allows more air circulation. a good groomer or your vet could show you easily.
    however, with the lurking-pocket thing, antibiotics were really the only solution when things got out of hand...i did find that NOT 'waiting & seeing', but rather starting them quickly was the best course. every time an infection blew up, more & deeper pockets got formed.