Diarhea and Vomiting again...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diarhea and Vomiting again...

DefaultDiarhea and Vomiting again...

Early December Fletch got loose stool and vomiting for about two days then stopped eating. I took him to the vet and he had Pancreatitis. They thought he had an obstruction and opened him up to find out there was nothing there. They did find that his caecum was swollen however. He was still in bad shape however and had to spend days in a 24 hour care facility. He didn't eat for 5 days and the meds he was being treated for did nothing for that long. On the fifth day i brought him to my vet to try something else. They put him on antibiotics for Tiflitis (not sure on spelling) and the next morning he ate. Still not sure if the other meds kicked in or it was medication for the Tiflitis.

He has started having diarhea again about two days ago. I gave him pumpkin that day and it firmed him up but didn't give it to him yesterday and the diarhea came back. This morning I didn't feed him because i know sometimes people withold food for a day so I thought I'd try that. When i got home from the gym this morning he had thrown up. Now I'm freaking out because I don't have another three thousand dollars to go through this again. Any suggestions or ideas on what this could be would be very helpful. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Diarhea and Vomiting again...

What is his diet/food?

As for finances being an issue in seeking care, there is always CARE CREDIT.

I would fast him for a day (provide water and perhaps some chicken broth) then go to rice and boiled ground chicken for several days. If he is OK after that - then you can work back in the kibble to the diet.

I'd be curious about his diet as well.

If the chicken and rice diet does not eliminate tummy trouble - then you probably have some medical cause and he should see a vet. Maybe it is time for another opinion on what his problem is. I am pretty shocked that they opened your dog up without actually seeing a blockage on x-ray.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog

I would fast him for a day (provide water and perhaps some chicken broth) then go to rice and boiled ground chicken for several days. If he is OK after that - then you can work back in the kibble to the diet.

If the chicken and rice diet does not eliminate tummy trouble - then you probably have some medical cause and he should see a vet. Maybe it is time for another opinion on what his problem is. I am pretty shocked that they opened your dog up without actually seeing a blockage on x-ray.
    He's on Kirkland Chicken and Rice.

As for the X-Ray they saw a bunch of backed up gas. Gave him barium and it backed up there as well. They figured it was something spongey or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Fletchs Pop
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog

He's on Kirkland Chicken and Rice.

As for the X-Ray they saw a bunch of backed up gas. Gave him barium and it backed up there as well. They figured it was something spongey or something.
    Oh - that makes some sense then. Many dogs do OK on Kirkland C and R - but since he had pancreatitis, perhaps some prescription food would work for him better. I am not so conversant on what food would be appropriate for a dog with pancrease issues but maybe a no grain food would be better. Mine has diabetes and is on grain free and thriving. (and yes - I know diabetes is all about the pancrease but mine never had any pancreatitis symptoms)

I would also suggest a grain-free diet. I know for myself, when I eat carbs, I tend to get gassy (probably TMI ).

I'd like to switch his food to something grain free. I'm a bit concerned doing it when his stomach was already having issues.

Maybe it's the food giving him the issues.

Quote Originally Posted by kiddsmom
    Maybe it's the food giving him the issues.
    I understand that idea. I went out and bought EVO today and hopefully he'll recover well enough over the next couple days where I can start integrating in the new Dog Food.

Go very slowly with the transition. EVO is very rich compared to the Kirkland. If you haven't opened the bag, you might consider getting Wellness CORE reduced fat. It has a high fiber count (higher that most foods), would help with the loose stools. When my dog had a terrible bout with colitis last year, this is what I put him on and he firmed up in a matter of days. He stayed on this through the bag and then I transitioned him over to regular CORE.

I would rest his stomach for a few days with a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice to see if he stops vomiting. If he does, then slowly start him back on kibble. If not, get him to a vet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast