Possible ACL tear

Thread: Possible ACL tear

DefaultPossible ACL tear

Hello! My black lab , cute Lila (pronounced Lela) has been limping since last Friday, will put weight on her back left leg but when she tries to run she hops. She has sever bilateral hip dysplasia and scar tissue, bone spurs etc built up around the knees. Our regular vet did not find a tear about a month ago, and the limp she had then subsided. He did say that because of her hips, and the knee issues she could eventually tear it. She has some swelling, but only noticeable when you run your hand down both knees.

So, I am assuming we have a tear now and I called an orthopedic vet and scheduled an appt a month out. They have been referred to me by 2 regular vets and they use the fascia graft repair technique (sp?) Has anyone heard of it, is it good and what is the recovery like? They say 12 weeks, and also has hydrotherapy helped any of your dogs post-op? I haven't gotten the true dx of ligament tear the earliest appt I could get was Feb 9th but just to prepare myself I am assuming that is what we are dealing with.

thanks for your help! This is a lot to think about and worry about, and my little girl is only 4 .

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Possible ACL tear

Well with that history, it could be the cold making the dysplasia worse (that can impact how much weight they'll put on a leg, and in turn that hip) or arthritis in the knee. Did the regular vet manipulate the knee to determine if there was a tear?

If you haven't already, I'd visit your regular vet ASAP just to get her checked out before February 9th. You're probably looking at several weeks of strict rest until the ortho vet can see her. I'm not familiar with the technique, but fortunately we haven't had to deal with ligament issues. Hopefully the regular vet can give you some ideas of what your looking at and tips on how to keep her from doing more damage until the ortho vet can see her.

I can sympathize. There is basically one orthopedic practice that every vet in this state prefers and it took me over a month to get Jes in for his hip dysplasia.

Thanks, the thought was at first that it was her hips but the way she is limping is different than in past years. When she runs she will completely hold it up and there is swelling or thickness in one knee over the other. The vet manipulated here knee about a month ago and said it was not a full tear, but it could still be a partial tear. The vet says to limit jumping,running, only on leash walks. So I brought out the baby gate to keep her on one level and I move it around depending on where I am!

Also while I have a fellow owner of lab with hip stuff, how do you manage it? I am nervous to use pain meds because of the effect on the liver. I give glucosamine and fish oil pills. Is there anything else you have found to work, or a food that has been good.

The ortho vet luckily says once I get in we can do surgery that week if necessary. It is also killing two birds with one stone because I can have them assess her hips and knee at the same time. Any tips your ortho gave you about hips??
    Thanks so much for your help......

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Also while I have a fellow owner of lab with hip stuff, how do you manage it?
    I give Cosequin and fish oil - the fish oil is more for his dry skin in the winter, but it does help reduce inflammation so I've started giving it all year since hip dysplasia causes arthritis.

During the warmer months we do lots of swimming. Once he was diagnosed, I stop taking him with me on runs and any running is done on grass. The last thing is, according to the vet, probably the most important - I keep him thin. I'm guessing he should be around 70-75 lbs if he had good hips, but I keep him between 65-68lbs.

The ortho vet basically said he could do a replacement or a TPO (wasn't bad enough to warrant FHO), but thought it would be best just to let him go as is until he develops symptoms. He said the dysplasia wasn't bad enough to warrant the risk and expense of surgery. So far, I think it's been the correct decisions. He's 6 years old so far shows no signs of discomfort.