Flaky Skin

Thread: Flaky Skin

DefaultFlaky Skin

I adopted my 1 year old yellow lab in October of 08 from the SPCA. When we got her she had a bald patch at the base of her tail, her skin was dry but wasn't like dandruff it was coming off almost in scales when you brushed her you it would come right off. She also had some small scabby dry bumps (nothing that looked like hot spots)
    steps that I took to help her in order

switched food from Iams to Eukanuba naturally wild within a week
    bathed her with tea tree oil and oatmeal shampoo (every couple weeks we had to bath her the dry skin was so bad on her fur)
    took her to see the vet second week for the bumps and got meds for bacterial infection
    bumps went away
    used Mellisa's oil on food from week 1
    also tried vegetable oil for 2 weeks

we got her in the rainy season of fall and it's winter now, I have a humidafire on the furnace so it's not dry in the house there's no grass to be allergic to

the dry flaky skin is still here!
    Can anybody please help if they have had this problem and resolved it

Thanks Todd

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Flaky Skin

....bathed her with tea tree oil and oatmeal shampoo (every couple weeks we had to bath her the dry skin was so bad on her fur)....
    Is the shampoo you're using one sold for people or for dogs?

If it's a people shampoo, stop using it. Shampoos properly formulated for people are about 100 times more acidic than shampoos properly formulated for dogs. An acidic shampoo like that can cause dandruff and flakey skin.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

No it is dog shampoo one of the better one's on the market and I rinse her out real good since she likes bath's anyway

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

You might ask for a referral from your vet to the University of Guelph
    http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/hospital/

More likely they'd have experts that could diagnose and recommend treatments.

Or, if you're close enough to Lansing, MI, I think you can self-refer to their Teaching Hospital (but maybe not, it may take a referral from your vet). http://cvm.msu.edu/hospital
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

I got a good shampoo at petsmart, they also sell it at my vet. It is called Hylite. It is a non soap shampoo and has fatty acids in it. I don't bathe often but use this when I do. I also use fish oils. We are having a flaky skin problem (we always do in the winter) though it doesn't sound near as bad as yours. Maybe there is another problem your pup has. Good luck

We are having dry flaky skin in the winter too. But again it doesnt sound as bad as your poor pup. But someone recommended we use fish oil and then mix in a tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar and a Tbspn of Water to her food and mix it all up. At first I was concerned she wouldnt like all the flavors but I don't know why I thought that since she will eat anything and she LOVES the taste. It seems to have helped with our pups itchy skin.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

The ACV and fish oil work well. It can take time to see a difference (upward of 30 days sometimes) with natural supplements.

Did your vet diagnose the infection via a skin scraping?

I really do not have a lot to add but more agreeing with the others who have posted. We use Hylite too on Honcho whenever he needs a bath. It's soap free and won't dry out his skin. He also gets fish oil every day which helps his coat, joints etc. We had some skin issues right before Honcho turned one, but he had a skin scraping done and had ringworm on top of something else as well. Did your vet do a skin scraping?

Good luck with your pup and hope it gets better soon.