freezing dog food

Thread: freezing dog food

Defaultfreezing dog food

Hi I am going to start buying the large bags of food,am worried it will go stale though,can I bag it and freeze it?? thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: freezing dog food

Yes.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

labby is offline Senior Member

Yep, BobPR does that all the time.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Yep, BobPR does that all the time.
    That's exactly what came to my mind when I read the title of the thread.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Hi I am going to start buying the large bags of food,am worried it will go stale though,can I bag it and freeze it??
    I buy 40 lb./18.14 kg. bags (Costco's Kirkland C&R) and, as soon as the bag is opened, I transfer the contents to 10-11 ZipLock freezer bags, sucking as much air as possible out of them before sealing it the last inch/3 cms.

Five bags I put in the freezer, five I store in the emptied food bag. When we get down to the last few meals from the last bag left out, I remove a bag from the freezer and let it reach room temperature before opening it.

And after opening a ZipLock bag to take out the food, I reseal it often sucking more air out.

Why?

When Puff's increased appetite declined and leveled off after her developmental months, I noticed she shunned her food when a 40 lb. sack was half gone.

After much experimenting with fresh bags of food, different containers, etc., I finally settled on the above method as the easiest and best for us.

Puff eats only 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup at night so a bag that size lasts us a l--o--n--g time, months. Air and moisture getting to food can make it unappetizing (as for example, crackers or cookies left exposed for weeks to air and humidity). While, rigid containers did somewhat extend the food life for us, they didn't completely work, I think because as the food gradually goes down, it gets replaced by air with its humidity (which is the culprit in causing loss of appeal).
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748