Problem with pup

Thread: Problem with pup

labrus is offline Junior Member

DefaultProblem with pup

I have a choc male pup, going on 6 weeks. We noticed today he has a cyst on him where the cord would have been. Been having litters of labs for almost 20 years, and never had this to happen. Does anyone have any advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Problem with pup

a cyst or a hernia?
    hernias aren't that uncommon- the vet will fix it when he is neutered - simple surgery generally - just involves stitching the muscle together so the innards can't poke out - when I have an animal with a hernia I spend a LOT of time reducing it (pushing it back inside the body) so that complications are less likely
    there is a genetic component to umbilical hernias ..so he probably should be neutered
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

labby is offline Senior Member

^
    |
    |

what they said. I would say it's an umbilical hernia.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labrus is offline Junior Member

Just got back from the vet, the poor little thibg does have a hernia. His mon bite the cord too close is what he said. We raised around 80 pups in the past 20 years and this was the fisrt time this has happened. Did I say poor little thing. He might be little, but has big lungs.

it wont bother him a bit
    I actually found this thread to add - take him to the vet - so I am glad you did!
    the older view was that it is a maternal instinct gone overboard
    some recent work suggests there is a genetic component (this from my vet who was reading an article on it recently)
    a puppy we c-sectioned in august has a hernia and I KNOW I left over an inch of cord on him - so for him it obviously had nothing to do with mom!

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Umbilical hernias can be a result of too much pulling on the umbilical cord either by the breeder or the bitch chewing the cord. It can also happen during a C section when trying to get the pups out as quick as possible.

So it is not necessarily a genetic issue.

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a hernia not a cyst, my friends JRT had one and the vet fixed it when he was neutered

Quote Originally Posted by Snowco Labradors
    Umbilical hernias can be a result of too much pulling on the umbilical cord either by the breeder or the bitch chewing the cord. It can also happen during a C section when trying to get the pups out as quick as possible.

So it is not necessarily a genetic issue.
    I didn't actually say it was genetic - I said there was a genetic component
    the csection was one single puppy - so while we were working quickly there was no grabbing rush to yank the puppy from the sac too quickly - I'm pretty sure, in this case, it was genetic