New Arrival

Thread: New Arrival

DefaultNew Arrival

My wife and I are expecting in March and was wondering if anyone has some suggestions on preparing our 9 month old Lab Max? Max is very good with our 4 year old son and if there are any helpful hints please post them. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: New Arrival

Quote Originally Posted by sklov
    My wife and I are expecting in March and was wondering if anyone has some suggestions on preparing our 9 month old Lab Max? Max is very good with our 4 year old son and if there are any helpful hints please post them. Thanks.
    It's good that your puppy has been exposed to a small child prior - it will be easier than if this were your first. I would expose the puppy to one of the baby's blankets or an article of clothing that has the baby's scent on it. That way this new creature will smell familiar when he/she comes home. Other than that you just need to completely control the puppy's interaction once the baby comes home. A 9 month old puppy can be very enthusiastic to say the least. He will learn to be careful with the baby with your guidance but he is pretty immature now and needs a lot of direct supervision so he is not too rough. In short order he will lose interest in the baby (until he/she is old enough to slip him some grub from the highchair).

Things to work on with him now (if he does not have this down yet) are solid responses to sit, down and stay. He has to learn to have self control when he is excited about something. Work with him on these commands and be sure to reward successful behavior.

When I brought home our first baby my dog (who was then 3) was BESIDE herself with excitement. She jumped into the backseat with me and the baby when my husband opened the car door - half the neighborhood was waiting for us to come home and they had her out with them. She was gentle and quite a nana from day one.

Congratulations, BTW!