For those with TPLO experience...does cold weather bother your dog?

Thread: For those with TPLO experience...does cold weather bother your dog?

blackjack is offline Senior Member

DefaultFor those with TPLO experience...does cold weather bother your dog?

Buster has been limping off and on again for a couple weeks now. He has already had TPLO surgery on both back legs. He is limping on the side that was operated on first. I can't put anything else with it, like running a lot, or getting bowled over by a bigger dog. He just got up one evening from his nap and started limping. I found some Rimadyl from his surgery and was giving him a half dose but I hate to keep giving it to him because he can have tummy issues. I know that the vet told us that he would be more susceptible to arthritis because of the surgery. So two questions - have you noticed that cold weather affects your dog more post surgery? And is there anything else that the vet could give him beside Rimadyl that might help?

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: For those with TPLO experience...does cold weather bother your dog?

charlie had the traditional tplo allmost 2 years ago, and has been doing great. this morning he had his normal morning walk, came home went to sleep and woke up limping. took him straight to the vet who seems to think its the cold weather aggravating his arthritas he prescribed metacam, the liquid form you just put it on his food, its much gentler on the stomache than rymydyl, which does not agree with charlie at all. damn this cold weather! roll on the sunshine!

labby is offline Senior Member

You have to remember, your dog has a metal plate and screws in its leg. Yes the cold weather, cold water, snow, etc. is going to make the dog a bit stiff. I have wires in my left knee and yes it gets stiff when the leg gets cold.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    You have to remember, your dog has a metal plate and screws in its leg.
    Thank you Laura, I had forgotten about the metal. Well, not forgotten but didn't add it into the equation I stopped giving him the Rimadyl about a week ago and while he still limps occasionally, it's better than when he started. He is very careful of where he stands and who stands near him. He has been going through gastritis lately so I hesitate to start it again. If it gets worse again I will ask the vet about the Metacam (thank you too Sue).

labby is offline Senior Member

I always try starting out with something like G/C or MSM and aspirin, then graduate to Metacam then to Rimadyl if the others don't work.

Laura

He takes glucosamine twice a day, and has since his first surgery (so does BJ, the other beagles once a day). Would you use baby aspirin or a low dose adult aspirin? He weighs about 35lbs.

The Texas Tank is offline Senior Member

Tank has had 2 TPLO's and has arthritis. He gets stiff now and then but I am not seeing a big difference with the colder weather here opposed to Texas. He cannot take Rymadyl nor Dermamax. He gets real bad diarrhea. He takes Tramadol instead for pain and works for him real well.
    Sandie, Tank 5/25/1998 - 07/08/2011, Orson & Sully

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Hudler had 2 TPLO's about 3 years ago. The cold weather isn't bothering him. Granted he's nearing 8 now and goes slower, but even on our mile walks in 8 degrees, he does fine. Maybe it all depends on how much arthritis has set in already.

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Hi

Yes our Emma is bothered in the winter by the cold with the plate in her leg.
    We try to warm her up before she goes out by rubbing her leg a bit or also but an old thick sock on her leg with the ends cut off. It fits somewhat like a sock cast and goes up her leg enough to keep it somewhat protected.

we have had 3 dogs get the TLPO. over a period of 12 years. [same fantastic surgeon!]
    he has always told us that a few dogs need to get the metal plate removed [long after total healing & rehab, of course] as they suffer from the metal-to-bone contact in cold weather.
    none of ours have had to have this done, but we do have one that gets Rimadyl when cold sets in, as she develops a limp.
    i find Rimadyl quite benign [all of our dogs have been on it, at least for awhile,mostly from 'old age' but one for this cold-related limping.
    you could try simple plain [human] aspirin, given with food, twice a day.
    it is waaay cheaper and sometimes more effective for short-term use, as i find it works pretty much right away, as opposed to rimadyl, which in my experience, kicks in after a few days. then has a 'residual' effect after you stop it.