Not wanting to eat

Thread: Not wanting to eat

sammysam21 is offline Senior Member

DefaultNot wanting to eat

We have a very odd problem. Our puppy who is almost 1 year old has always been extremely excited about eating. We feed him in the morning & at night. However, the past month it has been like pulling teeth to get him to eat. My hubby went to feed him this morning & he came back to bed with me. Once we get him to stay at his bowl he eats all of his food, but we can't get him to stay there. Could it be that he is sick of his food? He is still on puppy food. We have had him on Iams large breed puppy since we got him & were thinking that maybe we needed to change him to Eukanuba adult food. Any suggestions? By the way, we do feed him & his brother in the kitchen where there all minimal distractions.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Not wanting to eat

Here are some posts I've often made --->

I looked up puppy nutrition in several dog vet books, The UC-Davis "Book of Dogs" says, for instance, that when puppies are very young they need to eat about 2X the amount of food that an adult dog of that same weight would need.

BUT, as they approach maturity, that need multiplier decreases from 2X down to 1X -- with 1X meaning they need the same amount an adult dog of that weight should eat.

I measured the amount Puff did eat when she resumed eating and made available only that amount for 15 minute periods.

She ate that amount. That lasted a bit and then she stopped eating again. I decreased the amount again.

Puff finally went down to her current 2 cups/day (divided into 2 meals; but supper has green beans added).

I suggest you count yourself lucky and begin decreasing the amounts you feed until you reach a stable balance.

And another:

The first time it happened with Puff, she pretty much ignored food (except a few nibbles on irresistible treats) for a couple days.
    It was then that I began really reading and absorbing what the vet books said. My first Lab, Bess, never met anything edible she didn't want to eat (except raw onions and raw mushrooms), so I was as unprepared for a Lab refusing to eat as I would be if seeing her fly.

But -- if it'll be any comfort to you -- in nature, feral dogs and wild canids often go for a couple days (but not always by choice) without eating food and then stock up when fortune favors them with scavenging a carcass.

Suggestions:
    1. measure and reduce by 1/4 the amount of food you've usually fed at a meal;
    2. measure anything left so you can deduct that amount from the next meals offered;
    3. continue to feed the reduced amount until ______ again skips some meals;
    4. repeat steps 1, 2, & 3 as it becomes needed (it may happen several more times);
    5. IF you do notice unusual behavior (listlessness, generalized apathy, loss of activity and interest, etc.) DO take ____ to see your vet.
    [/color][/color]
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

sammysam21 is offline Senior Member

We have thought about cutting back on his food, but when he is hungry he searches the yard for poop to eat. Yes, I have a poop eater. We try to pick up the yard everyday, but with two dogs there is always poop in the yard somewhere.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Something that happened with Puff when she was about 10 months old was that when our usual 40 lb. bag was half gone, her appetite declined and she became disinterested in eating her food. I thought something might be wrong with the food in that bag.

Got another bag and she ate readily from that -- until it was half gone.

After much experiementing, trial and error, I dedeuced that by the time the bag was half used, the kibble had grown stale (as crackers and cookies will when exposed to air and humidity for a long time).

Tried a variety of ways to extend the freshness and appeal of the food but the way that works best for us is to transfer the contents of the 40 lb. bag immediately -- as soon as it's opened -- to 10 or 11 sealed Ziplock freezer bags. Then we open one of these smaller bags as needed, resealing it after each use.

Could something similar be happening with him? Maybe he's much more discriminating about his kibble than your other dog?

You might try buying a small bag of fresh kibble to feed him from to see if that might be a factor.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

The only suggestions i can make is to lift the bowl if he doesnt eat it and make him work up an appetite by doing appropriate exercise, Im sure his appetite will return within no time. Also I would seriously consider switching to adult food and maybe steer clear of IAMS as Ive heard its not the best quality food.