Your dog's name
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your dog's name

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultYour dog's name

I was thinking about Angus and Simon and remembering their "other" names.

We adopted them both through the local Humane Association. They give them names there: Angus' shelter name was "Shane." Simon's shelter name was "Curly."

Simon's shelter name was really puzzling - his coat is straight as a stick - until we had lived with him for a while, and saw that when he is feeling affectionate, he will perform a little acrobatic stunt in which he curls his head beside you on the floor and flips over into your lap. So, I sometimes still call him Curly.

Then they both had other names before we settled on their actual names. Some of the ones we entertained for Angus were "Dude" (would actually have been very fitting), and "Cooper." We used Cooper for him for a couple of weeks, but then people started shortening it to "Coop" which sounded too country/backwoods to me, so I insisted we find another one. We ended up making lists of our favorites, then exchanging lists and crossing off ones we didn't like from the other's list. "Angus" was the only name remaining on both lists.

Simon was much easier to name, for me anyway. I started thinking of him as Simon while he was still in the shelter, and I just couldn't shake it. Kevin did not like that name at all, however. He thought it sounded like a nerdy little boy who got beat up at school all the time. So, I posted a short list of names for our new boy on one of the former JL boards in the form of a poll. Simon won by a landslide, without any prompting from me! So, Simon it was. I also liked "Roman" for him, because he is dark and handsome.

What were some of your dog's previous or almost names?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Well we kept the name given to our Golden. We got her when she was 1 so no sense in changing it.

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

We got Sally as a puppy, so we named her.

We got Spud at 7 months old, but we loved the name Spud, so we kept it.

Hoppy's name was Chance. But we wanted to start him over with a whole new life, so we changed it to Hopalong Cassidy (hubby's childhood cowboy hero). He was a big time cowboy movie star. In the movies, his nickname was Hoppy, so that's why we call him Hoppy.

Badger was already Badger. We like it okay, and since he's so old, we didn't want to be making a lot of changes for him to get used to.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

We are Diesel's 3rd home. He started out as Choco (ew) went to my friend who named him Charlie and when he proved to be too much of a tornado for her 2 older labs - I snapped him up. Much discussion ensued and older son chose Diesel. It suits him.

The little guy we got as an 8 week old - so Blaise has always been Blaise - but we call him The Chunk often now.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

WIth Misha I went through several "proposals" when she was pup, I wanted Nanuk (but everyone hated it), someone said Kona, Lupe... in the end it was Misha.

Homer was Homer before he was even born. I always wanted a male dog named Homer... Of course it would have suited him better if he had been a yellow lab!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Our short list for Baloo was a bunch of Irish names, as he was born on st. patty's. Angus was high on the list, as was Fergus, Conan and Ronan. Dublin was also up there.

But he was SUCH a "Baloo" and still is, so it just sort of stuck.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Flynn is my only dog with a "former" name. The woman from Lab Rescue who fostered him called him "Smokey" because he appeared all wig-wagging in their driveway as the family was unpacking their car from a vacation in the Smokey Mountains. I knew that name wasn't gonna work for him!

Ergo, I carried on with my Irish names for labs tradition.

Seamus and Flynn

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Rush was named by a 10 year old girl and her name was simply Anna. Well, she didn't look anymore like an Anna then I did. We began the process of looking for a name and DH came up with our Goldrush, Rush for short. It stuck. The funny thing is she is so mellow and laid back that she never ever is in a rush. lol
    Boo was named after a couple of days just because she is black and would startle you by biting your feet kind of like yelling BOO! It stuck.

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Toby was pretty much Toby before we brought him home as a pup - since my husband wanted a chocolate lab and we wanted a chocolate themed but not too common name (Toblerone).

Chamois, on the other hand, never got to even hear the name the rescue gave her since we scooped her up so quick (we were the transport as well as her - ahem - very brief "foster" home, I mean forever home in about 5 nanoseconds). The litter of pups and the mom that the rescue pulled were all given Christmas-themed names because it was holiday season (Dancer, Dasher, Vixen, Holly, etc.). I'm not sure which one Chamois was supposed to be, but because we took her in immediately after the vet gave the OK, she only ever heard our name for her. Which came because she happened to match the color of my husband's suede jacket he was wearing that night and that triggered the association with chamois cloth - about the same color.

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Dutch's name at the rescue was Zeus...now I look back on it and wish I had of kept it since I have Zoe and Zena...it would have fit. But the Dutch was a name the ex had always wanted to use for a male; Ronald Reagan's nickname.

The black boy I have here now was called Yogi at the shelter; I renamed him Jasper Jax and he responded to "Jax" right away.

Zena was Zena and I left that; it just fit her.

oh and the people who "bred" Zoe called her Missy.....LOL

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast