Top 10 Items "Surgically Removed" From Pets
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Items "Surgically Removed" From Pets

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultTop 10 Items "Surgically Removed" From Pets

I think many here knows the primary villans for obstruction. But I got this Dr. Jon email and thought the order of the villans was interesting. And yes, this is an ad for Pet Insurance. That is not why I am posting it.

Dogs and cats commonly eat things that they shouldn't. The problem is that many items can't be digested or passed through the intestine causing a "Foreign Body Obstruction".

An indigestible object can become lodged in the stomach or intestines and may require surgery to remove it. Untreated, ingestion of these types of items can be fatal.

According to Veterinary Pet Insurance (VPI), the nation's oldest and largest provider of pet health insurance, they compiled a list of most common items surgically removed from pets.

Do you know what is #1?

It is the sock!

Here is the list:

Top 10 Surgically Removed Items
    1. Socks
    2. Underwear
    3. Panty Hose
    4. Rocks
    5. Balls
    6. Chew Toys
    7. Corn Cobs
    8. Bones
    9. Hair Ties/Ribbons
    10. Sticks

The cost of treatment for this type of problem ranges from $800.00 to $1740.00 depending on the severity of the illness and extensiveness of the surgery. This is a lot of money.

One thing to consider is that pet insurance can help pay for this type of medical expense. You never know what a dog will get in to so if you have a dog...take a minute and consider pet insurance. It could save your dogs life by allowing you to give the care your needs in the case of an emergency.

To learn more about the benefits of pet insurance and get an instant free quote Go to www.petinsurance.com.

Finally, I know it can be hard in most busy households, but please make sure you keep items picked up that might interest your dog. Socks, underwear and panty hose are the top three items...so make sure that you don't leave them laying around the house.

Until next time,

Dr. Jon
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Gene Guest

DefaultRe: Top 10 Items "Surgically Removed" From Pets

Good info, Ed. I am surprised cell phones was not on the list

Garth is offline Registered Users

I'm surprised mango seeds aren't on it. My neighbors have a tree. Their Rottie ate one & swallowed the seed whole. After noticing she was constipated, he took her to the vet who discovered the culprit. $1,300 later ..........

He's got the souvenir hanging on his lounge wall in a plastic bag. Makes an interesting conversation piece.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

I can add another one (certainly not on the top 10) that most of you wouldn't even think of as a threat....Gorilla glue. When ingested it enlarges and hardens. I once removed a Gorilla glue ball 5 " in diameter from a patients stomach. It had gotten as big as the stomach would allow. He survived, but it wasn't a fun surgery.

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by ruff n tumble crew
    I once removed a Gorilla glue ball 5 " in diameter from a patients stomach. It had gotten as big as the stomach would allow. He survived, but it wasn't a fun surgery.
    Are you a vet or a human surgeon? That must have been a sticky situation. Pardon the pun. :scare:

Gorilla glue can be evil. It grows...and grows.....and grows.

Well, two of Cinder's three are on the top ten list. Chew toy and sticks. Hers was actually firewood, but I figured that was close enough. Leather leash handle didn't make the top ten. But the funny thing is, everytime she's gone to the hospital there has been a black lab there because it ate a sock.

justine is offline Senior Member

Eeek. Funny it didn't mention paper clips, nails, push pins, etc. I've heard a LOT of stories about those being found in dogs' stomachs!

brody is offline Senior Member

interesting reading

a dog I know well had a grass obstruction that required surgery this summer....

I wonder what percentage of the items are undefined? where what is isn't clear?
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Samson is offline Senior Member

Pebbles ! Samson had a 25mm 1" diameter half pebble removed !

I saw a story on tv about a dog who ate a 12" knife....I can't imagine how a dog could swollow that....but I guess it's pretty common! :scare:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast