Saying goodbye to first foster

Thread: Saying goodbye to first foster

DefaultSaying goodbye to first foster

Wow. that was reeeally hard.

Didn't think about that aspect, but glad he's found his forever home.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Saying goodbye to first foster

It IS hard. That is why I'm a failure at it an no longer foster.
    Good on you for having the courage to let go.

Seamus and Flynn

brody is offline Senior Member

awwwwwwwww YAY for you and foster

some are much much harder than others even after MANY times going through it

in fact one of my foster buddies and I were just saying yesterday a pyschologist would have a hay day with rescue people in that- there is a saying about how you are only crazy if you keep doing something that causes you pain - heaven knows giving up many of our foster family has caused us great pain... and yet we keep doing it - bringing em in - letting em go

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

I decided that I couldn't foster for that reason. Congratulations though, it's good that your foster found a forever home.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

It is EXTREMELY foster...I want to adopt (and did adopt) a lot of mine. It never gets easier, but you always have that wonderful feeling of knowing your helped them get a new start. I've been very fortunate to have some awesome "parents" that have kept in touch with me and sent me pics and updates over the years.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Good for you. It has to be such a good feeling knowing you helped a dog find a forever home. Thanks for giving the dog a chance.

justine is offline Senior Member

I would love to do it someday but I know I would be crying my eyes out every time I had to say goodbye.. but then if you think about it, you did SO much good and saved one dog from being PTS in a shelter.

MumtoEllie is offline Senior Member

I must have been a terrible foster mommy. I did keep my first one - Ellie. But in all fairness, we didn't have a dog of our own. But once we had Ellie, that was it. I think I must have had a string of wild foster dogs that were usually badly behaved. Because every time one of them got adopted, we were like, Woo Hoo! The foster is gone! Let's have a party!!

I did cry when one of our fosters left. We had him for more than three months. What a great old boy he was.

Truthfully, you have to remember one thing. All rescues are limited by the number of good foster homes they have. For every dog you adopt out, that is one less dog that is euthanized because you have space for it in your house.

Also, you know how much joy your foster dog brought to you. Now, imagine how much joy your foster dog can bring to another family who have accepted it and welcomed it as part of their forever family.

Well done, I wish we could still foster. Since we had the baby, it is an impossiblity.