Questions from a longtime lurker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions from a longtime lurker

DefaultQuestions from a longtime lurker

Hello everyone,

I've been reading this forum for a while, researching the breed and picking up some great advice from your posts. I think we (the wife and I) are now ready to take home a Lab of our own and I would like your advice.

First off, we would really like something closer to a field line Labrador. I know they're more active, but so are we. We go hiking and jogging (I know we have to wait a year or so to jog with the doggie) and we live in a house with a yard, near a bike path and a big off leash dog park so between the two of us we can commit to exercising with him twice a day.

I've been doing research into breeders in California (we live in Los Angeles) and wanted to see if anyone here would have a recommendation for a quality breeder of field line Labs in this area. I found a site that lists a bunch of breeders in California, but most of them seem to be dedicated to the British / show line Labradors. So, if there is anyone here who knows breeders in Cali, I would love to hear from you. (I did find some, but can I post the links here to ask for opinions?)

I've been also looking out of state a bit, but I'm a little apprehensive about having a puppy shipped to us, tho some people tell me the puppies do ok with being shipped. What are your thoughts on that?

Adoption is another option and we may end up doing that, but since it's our first dog, I think we'd like to have one that we know came from a good line and a reputable breeder.

Thanks for your help in advance, and I'm looking forward to being a part of this forum as a lab owner.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Questions from a longtime lurker

Welcome, Sherlock.

If you want a field line Lab, you might go to some of the HT and FT events in Calif and ask among the people attending them.

You might also go to the HT & FT child board of this JL forum and ask there: https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...oard,11.0.html

I'm curious as to what your reasons are for preferring the field line. I had a black bench line (Bess) back before there was a split.

When it came time to get another (Puff), I wanted a yellow field line because (I thought) the field line would be smarter and more easily trained than the bench line. I got Puff from a HT & FT competitor (the pres. of his group), Rodney Fowler in Derby, KS.

I must admit, I am pleased with the yellow color -- much more easily seen at night.

And I've come to prefer the leaner, less chunky look.

BUT, Bess was FAR more intelligent and more easily trained than Puff. A disadvantage (to me) of most field line Labs is their greater size. Fortunately, Fowler had one runt (Puff) and that's what influenced me to choose her. Many field line Labs run 80-100 lbs.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

(I did find some, but can I post the links here to ask for opinions?)
    Another possibility besides choosing a puppy would be to examine those field breeder's web sites and see if they do 'rescue' or perhaps they have an adult available for adoption or maybe know of an adult dog in need of a home...

Reputable breeders will occasionally have a young/adult dog returned for various reasons other than the health of the dog.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    And I've come to prefer the leaner, less chunky look.
    That's actually one of my reasons for wanting a field line. My wife was looking at pointer dogs like Vizslas and German Pointers, but I wanted a Lab, so the leaner taller labs are a good "compromise". I say this knowing that once you have a dog that loves you all this probably goes out the window, but why not try to get one that's closer to your ideal pet.

Didn't Nevada Jim get Remi from a breeder in California.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I can't help with breeders as I am not in the US, but it sounds as though you will make great owners for a field bred Lab. Thank you for doing your research!

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

I have a field line Lab and he is tall, lanky and LOVES to run which includes BOLT...was a squirel today :embarrass:.

The only thing i will say is that they have such a high prey drive you need to fulfill, good luck in your search

georgie is offline Senior Member

I have two labs from field lines. Molly is 74 pounds and Abby is 67 pounds.
    Abby came from FC/AFC lines and does have alot of drive & desire but my breeder also breeds for temperment & trainability and I have to say, when she is out at a hunt test or duck hunting she is fantastic but when she comes in the house she is calm & really a couch potato. I don't know how she turns it on & off.
    Molly has less drive/desire than Abby but is also great in the house. If you go the puppy route look for good breeders & see what they do with their labs. Hopefully you can see the parents too.
    Good for you for doing your homework. Good luck. I am sure you will find what you are looking for.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I think the idea of leaner and taller is in the beholder. I certainly have dogs from show lines but they are up on leg and I prefer them fit.

This is my Lily - certainly not chunky.

My Rhumba

and the Gryphon

I consider my dogs lean. Much leaner than many bench bred dogs. They certainly are very happy on the couch being taters but equally happy out for long walks, hikes, retrieving..etc.
    I guess you have to figure out what appeals to you and why. Why field lines? Not all field lines (or any) are created equal. You can go from very mellow tempered but active to very high drive, high strung, hyper dogs. So I would say do your homework and talk to some of those more qualified to help you there. The first big dog to ever bite me as a child was a hyper, high strung working field Labrador. I had a Lab as child but that one dog..I never forgot and that was the biggest reason I did NOT want a Lab. I met some show bred Labs 9 years ago and my life has been turned upside down since.
    Kim

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Welcome Sherlock - see if Julie pokes her head in here - she might be able to (california lab lover) steer you right - sounds like you'll be a WONDERFUL new lab owner!!! Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast